My Brewing Class in Korea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wgentzel

Reaction score
So I'm an English teacher in Korea and I have a class with Korean adults coming up. I decided to share my passion and let them brew with me. In the downtime I am going to let them watch "American Eats: Beer" for a bit of background about beer history in the US.

I was wondering if anyone has any nice pdfs or .docs about the brewing process, beer history, or anything else applicable that would be nice to give them as a handout?:ban:

I have the newest edition of the book as well. The class is going to be Korean female English teachers. I'm looking more for something pretty and eyecatching as they don't know anything at all about beer (and probably don't care much).

Hah, unfortunately I don't know how to distill liquor and don't really have much of a desire to. I mean, I like it with samgyeopsal and whatnot, but I wouldn't waste my time making that stuff either.

Actually, for others and future reference I found this...http://brewblog.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/history-of-beer1.jpg

Something bright and pretty yet interesting like this is what I am looking for. I think they would be intimidated by nothing but a block of text in a foreign language, I know I am...

Be careful, a friend of mine was teaching in Korea and she broke one of their unwritten rules and was kicked out of the country 2 days later. I don't remember exactly what she did, but I think it was something innocuous like earning a little money on the side tutoring...

To be fair though, this was about 20 years ago now... Wow, I'm getting old...

I taught in Korea for 5 years and after drinking Cass and Hite, I know why you are making your own! Good luck. I'm sure your students will love the meguk mekju.

Be careful, a friend of mine was teaching in Korea and she broke one of their unwritten rules and was kicked out of the country 2 days later. I don't remember exactly what she did, but I think it was something innocuous like earning a little money on the side tutoring...

To be fair though, this was about 20 years ago now... Wow, I'm getting old...

No that sounds completely right and this is part of my contract as well. This adult class is actually English teachers at my school, so it is consistent with my contract and I already had this class cleared with administration. I've had my teachers all try my beer before and they liked it very much, I just don't think they care too much about how it's made. It seems like most of the younger generations (read as younger than 40) don't really have the same common sense or ability to do simple things like cook as the older generations. Not a single English teacher I work with can tell me how to make kimchi... all their mothers make it for them (many of them STILL living with their mothers).

Also, nice find with theoatmeal!

Back