My brew smells really sour and rotten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdrink

Reaction score
Today 7 days into fermentation I smelled my brew. Smells incredibly sour and rotten. I have smelled it say 3-4 days into fermentation and the smell wasn't nearly as bad(I have also tasted it, tasted better than okay. Haven't tasted it in it's current state.). It didn't smell like roses, but now it smells like something rotting. I have a bucket that doesn't use a fermenting lock or whatever you call it. It's a bucket that lets pressure out once it builds up. I have anxiety about it getting contaminated if I let it sit longer. This by the way has sort of happen in the past. I have often bottled and drank my brew way before the recomended fermentation out of contamination anxiety. Any thought advice anyone wants to share?

Last edited:
What are you brewing? What yeast are you using? What temperature is the fermenting beer at?

Edit: Maybe I should make this sound less abrupt, was in the midst of cooking. Need more information to give a helping hand.

I smelled it today, it smelled okay better than yesterday. It's been 8 days and the yeast is still floating on the top, there is a lot less than before, should I wait for it to sink before I bottle?

https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/product/clearbrew-32-litre-fermentation-pail/

anyone else tried these pails, they are kinda sketchy there is no bubble lock, the lid just opens if there is enough pressure and than closes

so, how do you rig a blowof tube for violent ferments?

Back