My brew pot's a mess..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The last two times I have brewed my brew pot has had a bunch of soot all over it. The bottom and sides, it's a friggin mess.. I don't remember this happening before. I guess I have the gas up too high. Anybody have this problem?? What can I do about it?

If the burner has individual nozzles, I would remove them and clean them out with a small wire brush. (pipe cleaner) The soot is from lack of oxygen as mentioned above and will build up over time on high BTU burners. For some reason the way stoves are made it doesn't affect them.

I agree. I have had this problem in the past. Just take your burner apart wire brush that bad boy and put it back together. This always works for me.

Opening? Do you mean the opening of the tank or the burner?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Burners have an opening to allow air to mix with the propane gas. Usually that opening is adjustable so that you get a nice blue flame instead of yellow. The soot that is collecting on your pot is because the gas isn't getting enough oxygen to completely burn the gas. If you store your burner outside, some critters may have crawled in and blocked the flow of air.

It's also possible that if you have an adjustable air intake, the screw has come loose and needs to be adjusted. Just open the intake until all the yellow flame disappears and you're left with a clean blue flame. As was already stated, the opening(s) are usually where the propane hose meets the body of the burner.

When I was brewing today, I noticed that the flame was yellow. So I guess thats the issue. I checked that opening and it wasn't open that much. I'll adjust it before next brew.. Thanks.

My wife thanks you too. My last two brews were a big mess.

Gotta keep the missus happy! They frown at us enough already with all this beer stuff. If we start making a mess for them, the bitchy index goes through the roof.

Glad I could help.

More air is required for a proper fuel/air mix. a common problem is a spider web at the orifice for the burner. Inspect and clean to hopefully achieve a nice blue flame.

Good luck,
Mike

Well I just cleaned that little area out and turned the gas on. I'm getting a nice strong blue flame. It's like a jet engine. I cant believe it how much better it is.

Thanks again guys...:mug:

Latest posts

Back