My Brew is good, but something is off... can you help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsephus

Reaction score
I recently brewed a clone of Dogfish Head Shelter Pale Ale, and it came out ok. It's certainly not bad, but there is just something missing. Is it mouthfeel, I'm not sure. I wouldn't describe it as body, but that's close. It almost tastes a little watery, a little thin. It seems to be adequately carbonated. The batch was bottle conditioned with priming sugar, and kept in a cool dry place for the past two weeks. What happened, what can I change in my next batch, or am I crazy?

Here are the specifics:

Brewed: 2/3/12
Bottled: 2/27/12
First Tasting: 3/13/12

Recipe:
Dogfish Head Brewing Co. Shelter Pale Ale clone
5 gallons/ 19 L, extract with grain; OG = 1.052 FG = 1.013; IBU = 30 SRM = 9 ABV = 5.0 %

Ingredients:

6.6 lbs. (3.0 kg) Briess light, unhopped, malt extract
7.0 oz. (198 g) light dried malt extract
6.0 oz. (170 g) crystal malt (120 °L)
2.0 oz. (57 g) amber malt (35 ºL) (substitute dark Munich or carastan if needed)
1⁄2 tsp. Irish moss (15 min.)
8 AAU Warrior hops (60 min.) (0.5 oz./ 14 g of 16% alpha acid)
2.75 AAU Glacier hops (10 min.) (0.5 oz./ 14 g of 5.5% alpha acid)
6.5 AAU Simcoe hops (0 min.) (0.5 oz./ 14 g of 13% alpha acid)
Wyeast 1187 (Ringwood Ale) yeast
0.75 cup (150g) corn sugar (for priming)

Im guessing with only two weeks in the bottles, and you keeping them in a cool place, that your carbonation isnt right. That can change the taste and feel of a beer alot. You should have them at about 70 degrees for at least 3 weeks.

By cool, I guess I meant room temperature in my closet. Which is about 66 degrees. Sorry for the misnomer.

I will agree on 3 weeks @ 70. Most of my beers have been perfectly drinkable at 2 weeks, lighter beers even one week (I get antsy!) but they get better near 3 or so. My St. Paul Porter extract kit I brewed last may took about 2-3 months before it really started tasting good and had OK head/retention. Now, 9 months later, its really really good, and pours with a nice dark tan head and has beautiful lacing down the glass.

On the other hand, I have a Nukey Brown that is off tasting still and was bottled in Oct, and has zero head after about 20 seconds in the glass. I keep drinking it here and there because its not THAT bad, and I dont wanna dump. I made mistakes on that beer, ones I won't make again (meaning I will no longer brew if I feel I might be rushed...)

Give it time. My Pale ale was almost IPA tasting until it had a month in the bottle, then it was yummy.

Just throwing this out.

One of my first brews seems very watered down even though it was a kit that was fool proof.

The one thing I learned and I STILL do not know if this is true is that that batch I had a weak boil. It's the only time I have that kind of mouth feel.

Just sayin

Just throwing this out.

One of my first brews seems very watered down even though it was a kit that was fool proof.

The one thing I learned and I STILL do not know if this is true is that that batch I had a weak boil. It's the only time I have that kind of mouth feel.

Just sayin

That is a very interesting take. During the boil, we were doing a 2.5 gallon boil, we had an issue with the size of the brew kettle and had to turn down the heat; from a vigorous boil, to a less intense boil. It was still 210F and was definitely boiling, but was more gentle then violent.

Anyone have any experience with the nature of the boil and if/how it can affect mouthfeel, or of the beer? Is this a question for a new thread?

I just bottled my 3rd batch last night and drank a couple of my cream ales while doing so.
This cream ale was in primary 3 weeks then bottled. When i first tried it after 2 weeks in the bottles, i wasnt happy at all
Then a week later i tried it again and thought i was just getting "used to it"
Last night marks about 6 weeks and i gotta tell ya, its clear and delish!
Too bad its gone now and i have to wait 3 weeks for my honey blonde. :(

That is a very interesting take. During the boil, we were doing a 2.5 gallon boil, we had an issue with the size of the brew kettle and had to turn down the heat; from a vigorous boil, to a less intense boil. It was still 210F and was definitely boiling, but was more gentle then violent.

Anyone have any experience with the nature of the boil and if/how it can affect mouthfeel, or of the beer? Is this a question for a new thread?

Both of the LHBS I frequent always tell me that when boiling, do it as a gentle rolling boil not an intense roiling boil. I follow that every time I am brewing and, knock on wood, I have yet to have a bad batch of homebrew with any of the 12 batches I have done so far. Take it for what it is worth but I live by that boil-code.

T8rAleKing said:
do it as a gentle rolling boil not an intense roiling boil... Take it for what it is worth but I live by that boil-code.

Thanks for the advice. That was what I suspected, but just wanted a second opinion. Gentle boils it is!
::cheers::

Back