My bottles hiss but very low carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

datdudeyayo

Reaction score
Just did the pilinus the wise double IPA kit... it's been two weeks in bottle conditioning phase when I open the bottles I hear a hiss but very low carb... can I fix this and what is the common issue that I have... this is my fifth beer and I did everything the same with siphon and corn sugar and this is the first one with this issue....any input would be appreciated

Conditioning temp? And give it at least 3 weeks. There's a great post by Revvy somewhere in this forum's history but google couldn't find it with a couple of quick searches and I'm kind of lazy so gave up.

But there's lots of factors that can be different from your previous 4 batches. DIPA high alcohol would mean stressed yeast struggling to convert the priming sugar. Higher FG of some DIPAs meaning harder to mix priming sugar and possibly variation among the bottles. Also higher FG meaning harder to force CO2 into solution. Also, Also (I think, need somebody smarter to confirm) at higher FG the same carbonation level won't feel or appear as effervescent.

as fnord said, just give it some more time. Bigger beers need more time to carbonate. As long as you carbed with enough priming sugar and the yeast is still good (i'm sure it is) it will carbonate. Give it at least 3 weeks.

Also, cooling the bottles prior to opening helps dissolve a bit more CO2 into solution for better carbonation. Patience my young grasshopper...

Give it another week or two. Keep a bottle in the fridge (just one to test) for a couple days. I *don't* have any science to back me up, but it seems like when I give my beers at least a couple days in the fridge I get much better carbonation (if enough gas has already built up, and you said you hear a strong hiss) and foam retention.

But fridge them only if you're sure the yeast has finished doing their thing.

Had the same issue a while ago, just left them at room temp for 3-4 weeks then another 4 weeks in the basement (14°C its not rly cold in there), they ended up with good carb.

How long are you allowing in the fridge? Like Kent said I was having problems with carb after 3 weeks and was just throwing one in the freezer after work to chill for an hour then trying . When i did a 2-3 day cold crash in the fridge the carbonation was noticeably better, not sure why but might try

No matter how I carb - time fixes

I find putting disolved sugar in to the bottling bin has fastest results - if I sugar the bottles that adds another week or two

Sometimes it's just slow to carb - but always by 6+ weeks they've carbed right up

In fact the ones that carb early often end up over-carbed by the 3rd week

Back