My beer's weak finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted125

Reaction score
I'm a new brewer, currently brewing extract. We've made five batches so far. The first three batches all came out good, but they all seemed to have a weak/light finishing taste. The initial taste is flavorful, but just seems to lack something at the end. Any suggestions? Thanks

Ted, there is just not enough info. Did you use a kit or a pre hopped can ? Full boil partail boil ? Yeast used ? Temps ?

I know that theoretically there should be no difference between extract and all-grain if the brew is done well and properly fermented - but I always seem to taste a thinness in extract brews.

It may just be skill and experience that makes the difference (as most folks move to all-grain after brewing extract for awhile). I may brew extract again and see if I still taste the 'extract' thinness.

My advice: if you are not consistently hitting your starting and finishing gravity targets - work on your process (brew, yeast, fermentation temp etc).

If you are consistently hitting your targets, try a mini-mash kit for your next batch and see if that makes a difference.

While we're at it, think about trying Brew In A Bag. Knowing what I know now, I would have played with BIAB for awhile before moving to a three-vessel all grain set up.

There is more to extract brewing than just throwing the ingrediants into a pot of boiling water. A high quality kit or ingrediants is very diffrent than a dusty 3 year old pre hoped extract in a can. You simply cant pool all exract brewing into one.

BxBrewer said:
There is more to extract brewing than just throwing the ingrediants into a pot of boiling water. A high quality kit or ingrediants is very diffrent than a dusty 3 year old pre hoped extract in a can. You simply cant pool all exract brewing into one.

Agreed, buy I'd hope he's not brewing from kits he bought off Craig's list and then wondering why they're weak.

Garbage in. Garbage out.

Sorry for the late response. I used kits from Lhbs that were not old. I did all full boils. 1 five gallon and 2 10 gallon batches. I steeped grains at 160-170 for 30 minutes then did a 60 min boil, using DME and pellet hops on the hip schedule provided. I used wyeast liquid smack packs. My OG and final gravitates were within range on two of the three batches. The other I had problems with the hydrometer I was using.

Sorry I also wanted to say thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate the feedback and all the help people offer on here!

If you can do full-boil 10 gallon batches, just go straight for BIAB. You'll most likely notice a big improvement.

I'm not real familiar with the BIAB. I plan to look into it though. I eventually want to go all grain, I just figured I should do extract for a while and try to get consistency with fermentation and learn more as I go.

I'm not real familiar with the BIAB. I plan to look into it though. I eventually want to go all grain, I just figured I should do extract for a while and try to get consistency with fermentation and learn more as I go.

Biab was an quick way for me to get into all grain. You have more control with all grain in my opinion. All you need is your big pot, voile curtain, and grains.

A couple of tricks ive picked up on with extract brewing. 90% of the beers i make i use ultra light LME "base malt". I use the hops and steeping grains to give me the color,flavor and body i want. Also ive found that getting i finer crush on the steeping grains to be a big help. The Biab guys do this too.

Try using dry yeast for now. I like Fermetis US-05 for most my ales. Its simple direct pitch and one packet can handle up to 1.050 OG or better. Ive found with liquid yeast i make a starter for anything over 1.040 OG. Dry is just simpler to get the process down.

Your doing the right thing by getting a good handle on extract brewing before going to all grain. Im staying with extract brewing and not moving to all grain. I just don't have the space or time. I went through a few companies products before i found a LME extract that was consistent . But it is possible to make really good beer with extract. With all grain you may have more control but you can also have more problems.

I assume the finer crush on the grains gets more sugar/flavor out of the steep. I've never used LME, but not opposed to trying it. The DME I use is Briess light DME.

I will also try dry yeast in my next batch. I've never used it. My fermenter is busy for the next couple weeks with a 10 gallon batch of a summer session recipe I tweaked trying to perfect a good ale they my wimpy family members and I can both enjoy! Thanks

If you can't find good LME give Morebeer a shot. Out of all the places online I've found there LME to be superior.

Latest posts

Back