My beer will NOT carbonate - no matter what! Part2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triat00

Reaction score
So, Im pretty much new with this but here is my problem (that is pretty muche the same then youll find here without the helium thing https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-will-not-carbonate-no-matter-what-182833/)

I kegged 5 gallon of IPA last month (4 inchs from the lid of the keg, 7%ABV). I'll normally hook it up to the desire psi (my kegetor is sitting around 39 to 42 degrees so I put it to 10-15 psi depending on the style) for two weeks. My LHBS was out of CO2 so I used beergas.

After about a week, I took a sample. Not very much carbonation. No problem, I'll let it sit another week. After that week, still nothing to speak of. I cranked it up to 20 PSI. A few days later, no remarkable change. Crank up to 30 for 36 hours then put it back to 20. Let it sit there for 2 weeks, sampled and STILL no carbonation!!! I knew something wasn't right after this. So I change beer gas for CO2, put it to 20, let it sit 2 weeks,... then nothing

Things that could have gone wrong (but didn't, so dont ask!)

-no leaks. Tested everywhere with soapy water. Tested all the posts and lid. The keg holds pressure. If there was a leak, I'd be well out of CO2 by now.

-gas is hooked up to appropriate post

- When I pour, I open the tap at its maximum. It take approx 5 sec to fill a pint.

Now I'm noticing that if I pour a glass, a lot of very tiny bubbles start to form. If I pour more violently, I can get it to make a head like a beer on Nitrogen.

Do you have any idea of what is appening. I read that it may be overcarbed but I dont understang why since nothing appened between 10 to 20 psi. If its overcarbed I read that I have to relief the pressure and hook it up to 10 psi but I dont know if its realy my problem.

My line is a 3/16 5ftlong.

Thanks

Yes Thanks for your Help. I read that using beer gas is a waste ( for carbing) but after all that time and 2 weeks on Co2, shouldnt I have some carbonation?

Yes Thanks for your Help. I read that using beer gas is a waste but after all that time and 2 weeks on Co2, shouldnt I have some carbonation?

Wait. Is it on co2 or beergas? Yes, it should be carbed if it's on 100% c02 (The word 'carbonation' is derived from carbon dioxide), but not if you're attempting to carb up a beer (again, carbonation means carbon dioxide) on nitrogen.

If it's been on c02 for two weeks, at 12 psi or more at fridge temps, that defies the laws of physics so you must have a leak.

What matters is the partial pressure of CO2, not the total pressure of the gas. If your beer gas is 75% N2 and 25% CO2, then at 20 psi, the partial pressure of CO2 is only 5 psi. Not going to get much carbonation with that.

Brew on :mug:

Its been on beer gas for 4 weeks then co2 for 2 weeks. I just have bubbles for few seconds that are "light" like a cream ale.

I've tested everyting a few time for a leak and found nothing. I also think that after 4 weeks with a leak, the beer gas will be empty.

Any other ideas?

What about the overcabonation that does not carbonate? Ive read few treads about that but found no explanations.

You've got too much pressure in the keg. You need to bleed off your pressure you put in there from the beer gas. Then hook up the CO2. The nitrogen in there is probably preventing the CO2 from flowing in at the rate you expect.

You've got too much pressure in the keg. You need to bleed off your pressure you put in there from the beer gas. Then hook up the CO2. The nitrogen in there is probably preventing the CO2 from flowing in at the rate you expect.

I just purge then put it back to 10 psi? do i have to purge often Before nitrogen all get out?

I just purge then put it back to 10 psi? do i have to purge often Before nitrogen all get out?

The N2 is not very soluble in the beer, so it shouldn't take a lot. Pull the valve till it stops releasing, then hook up gas. Repeat until happy.

So,...

Ive purged a lot. Put the CO2 at 20psi for 2 weeks. Got it down to 10psi (my serving pressure). The only thing I get is a good head (1-2 inchs) but no carbonation.

Then, I tried another week at 20 psi. Got it down to 10 psi,... same thing.

Any idea what Ive done wrong? I think that 20 psi is "hardcore" but I wanted to get something,...

I use Yoops method. 30-35 psi. I taste at 24,36, 48 60 and if necessary 72 hours.

Are you sure you have no leaks and are using co2 and Not beer gas?

You could also Add priming sugar and let it sit at about 65-68 for a few weeks. Make sure you fill head space with co2 though not beer gas.

Your lhbs did you wrong. They should have explained what you needed to do to carb.

Back