My beer tastes like malt liquor!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsaavedra

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I brewed Yooper's fizzy yellow beer. I'm still in the "working out my new system" phase - all my beers are turning out great I'm just working on consistency now.

Anyway, I nailed the 150°F mash temp, nailed the 1.054 OG spot on, brew day went off without a hitch. My Notty slurry fermented at 61°F must have been extra happy because it fermented all the way down to 1.008, giving me a 6% ABV beer.

Thing is, this beer has such a light malt/hop character that the booziness really stands out. Tastes almost like a malt liquor but without tasting s****y. Not bad at all, actually a pretty enjoyable beer... just wished I had saved up some 40oz bottles before I bottled it :tank:

Do I have a label for you!

Colt+45.jpg

:D

Sounds like classic over-pitch. But, also sounds like that was a good thing...

Cheers! :mug:

Sounds like classic over-pitch. But, also sounds like that was a good thing...

Cheers! :mug:

Would over-pitching really cause over-attenuation? I thought once the fermentables were fermented out then it's done, regardless of how much yeast is in there?

This is also my first foray into harvesting yeast. This particular pitch of yeast fermented its first beer (1.040 - 1.006) then the slurry from that ferment was pitched into this fizzy yellow beer (1.054 - 1.008), as well as a Two Hearted clone (1.066 - 1.009). Seems like it's just a highly attenuative line of yeast! I pitched the slurry from this fizzy yellow beer into a cream stout (OG 1.060) so we'll see how much it ferments that beer, hopefully the lactose addition will keep it from fermenting too low.

Notty is known for being more attenuative than some give it credit for. My Brewer's Friend calculations are always a few points higher than what I actually get, sometimes more than a few.

:)

Would over-pitching really cause over-attenuation? I thought once the fermentables were fermented out then it's done, regardless of how much yeast is in there?

This is also my first foray into harvesting yeast. This particular pitch of yeast fermented its first beer (1.040 - 1.006) then the slurry from that ferment was pitched into this fizzy yellow beer (1.054 - 1.008), as well as a Two Hearted clone (1.066 - 1.009). Seems like it's just a highly attenuative line of yeast! I pitched the slurry from this fizzy yellow beer into a cream stout (OG 1.060) so we'll see how much it ferments that beer, hopefully the lactose addition will keep it from fermenting too low.

It'll still ferment as low but the lactose will stay in there to give it an artificially higher FG.

One time I intentionally brewed malt liquor to have a laugh and burn some very old ingredients I had no use for otherwise (namely the very old dregs of a sack of pils malt, and some whole Crystal hops I got as a comp prize I'd had in the freezer, both about 2 years old). Was 40% corn, 30% pils, 30% 6-row, OG of 1.070 or so, did a stupidly complicated mash just to do it (4 step), hopped to about 25 IBUs, and then fermented with Wyeast Bohemian Lager at about 60F for a couple weeks with no lagering. Finished at 1.015 (could have been a bit drier) and just over 7% ABV, I didn't expect it to come out well. It was actually very tasty. Much better than Colt 45 or Steel Reserve or anything else I can recall.

One time I intentionally brewed malt liquor to have a laugh and burn some very old ingredients I had no use for otherwise (namely the very old dregs of a sack of pils malt, and some whole Crystal hops I got as a comp prize I'd had in the freezer, both about 2 years old). Was 40% corn, 30% pils, 30% 6-row, OG of 1.070 or so, did a stupidly complicated mash just to do it (4 step), hopped to about 25 IBUs, and then fermented with Wyeast Bohemian Lager at about 60F for a couple weeks with no lagering. Finished at 1.015 (could have been a bit drier) and just over 7% ABV, I didn't expect it to come out well. It was actually very tasty. Much better than Colt 45 or Steel Reserve or anything else I can recall.

Haha this is something I could definitely see myself doing. Did you bottle it in clear 40oz bottles?

Back