My beer in a local brewery...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John53189

Reaction score
I have been approached ( through a friend) by a new start up brewery that wants my one of my beers there. They had my beer at an event awhile back. They know a friend of mine, so that's how it tied together. I don't know what to expect when I talk with them. Anyone else had this experience?

Sort of. I was approached by a homebrew shop owner whom hosts our brew club meetings asking if I wanted to brew on their 5 gallon system in the shop if they got licensed to serve the beer. They've had my beer that I bring to the meetings and I guess they like them all. I decided to brew a few batches on their E-RIMS system and so far so good. They're working on the licensing, they've already passed DOH and they're getting an on premises ABC license, and they're talking about creating a cold room out of some extra space they have, but we've yet to really get into the break down of responsibilities, payment to me, and how it'll all work. We have a meeting next month to work all this out.

Internally, I did struggle with giving up some of my recipes that I've worked so hard to nail down over the past 4 years, but if I'm going to get paid, even in a very small amount, then it's worth it. I can always come up with new recipes or just keep brewing mine at home. I love brewing and it would be great to share my beers with people I'd otherwise never get to share it with.

Best thing you can do is come up with a way to give them your recipe but also get something back in return that makes it a win/win. No sense in giving them your awesome recipe to just go away empty handed. Whether that is to brew it with them or to get some sort of profit sharing option going for you; which I think would be fair. The way I see it is if you keep it real to yourself and you're happy then it is a win/win. If just having your beer on their taps makes you happen then so be it!

Congrats on the opportunity. Keep us updated as to how it goes! :mug:

We had a quick conversation, just to get some minor details. Sounds like they want me to be there on brew day. So far that's it, he is busy trying to get open. I don't expect much, but I don't think I can let them "have" the recipie.

Back