My beer has been carbing for almost 2 weeks now, and it still seems flat.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjap52

Reaction score
I've got a Belgian Honey Tripel carbing up in my pin lock, I used the set it and forget it method. My fridge is around 36* and set the reg to 8psi as per a chart that I read.

I checked it this morning, and the sucker is still super flat. Not sure what's up with it. Anything I should try? Or do certain styles of beers take longer to carb up than others? Thanks.

At 36 and 8psi it should taste flat. How many volumes of co2 are you shooting for? Most Belgians are highly carbonated. Try 12-14psi for a week and see how it is.

At 36 and 8psi it should taste flat. How many volumes of co2 are you shooting for? Most Belgians are highly carbonated. Try 12-14psi for a week and see how it is.

I was going for about 2.4, the higher end of what a tripel is supposed to be. Using this table: http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/img134.jpg

I figured that'd be good. Am I reading this wrong?

Looks like you're reading the table right (maybe a little low at 2.29, but certainly close). As far as I can figure there shouldn't be any difference between styles carbonating differently when force-carbing, but I know mine don't tend to hit a sweet spot until 2-3 weeks, so it might still be going. When was the last time you measured the fridge temp? If you don't have a controller, its possible that its warmed up slightly and that's causing less CO2 to go into solution.

And as far as carbing a tripel, I've seen a huge range of potential carb levels that people tend to use. Everything from about 1.7 up to around 3 or more (also why some Belgians come in the heavy-duty corked bottles). If you think its a little lacking in carb but finished carbing, I don't think it'd be out of style to increase the psi up to 11-12 (about 2.6 volumes) and try it out. I generally start lower and slowly work my way up if I decide to change it up, since I figure its easier to add more carb than remove it after the fact. Double check your temp too just in case, it could be as easy as that.

I recently put a chocolate stout in the kegerator, at 11 or 12 days, SWMBO practically gave up on the beer because it just wasn't showing any signs of carbonation. But at day 14 or 15, it seemed fully carbonated. I still don't get it, but a couple beers have done that; they don't seem carb'ed at all until, seemingly overnight, they hit that thershold where they seem perfect. Go figure.

Looks like you're reading it right, I just think it's a fairly conservative chart. I use this chart and you can see that it's calling for 10 psi @ 36*F for 2.47 Vol http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Do you have external temperature controls? If not make sure your thermometer isn't resting against anything. That can give you a false reading.

Also make sure you are reading the temp of the beer, not the ambient fridge temp. Unless you are using a controller taking the beer's temp your beer might not be as cold as you think. Even so, eventually it will carb to some level but you might have to adjust the pressure a bit to get it where you want it.

Starting simple.... Are you sure your valve is open on the gas line? I use valves off the regulator so I can turn it off. The regulator still reads the line pressure but if the valve is closed then no gas flows.

Yes its simple but its happened to me before.

Just shake it. Crank the pressure up to 15-20 psi, shake it until you get bored (or roll it on the floor, that's easier on your back and knees), let it sit overnight, bring the pressure down to what the chart says and let it sit for a few more days, releasing pressure every so often. Voila.

FYI tripels are supposed to be highly carbonated, 3 vols minimum with 3.5 being typical.

That table shows carb levels for typical/average beers. Tripels are above-average when it comes to carbonation.

Looks like you're reading the table right (maybe a little low at 2.29, but certainly close). As far as I can figure there shouldn't be any difference between styles carbonating differently when force-carbing, but I know mine don't tend to hit a sweet spot until 2-3 weeks, so it might still be going. When was the last time you measured the fridge temp? If you don't have a controller, its possible that its warmed up slightly and that's causing less CO2 to go into solution.

And as far as carbing a tripel, I've seen a huge range of potential carb levels that people tend to use. Everything from about 1.7 up to around 3 or more (also why some Belgians come in the heavy-duty corked bottles). If you think its a little lacking in carb but finished carbing, I don't think it'd be out of style to increase the psi up to 11-12 (about 2.6 volumes) and try it out. I generally start lower and slowly work my way up if I decide to change it up, since I figure its easier to add more carb than remove it after the fact. Double check your temp too just in case, it could be as easy as that.

I haven't measured the fridge temp in a while, but I've got it set for 36* and haven't opened it recnetly. I upped the PSI a bit, I'll check it when I get home and see how she's progressing.

I recently put a chocolate stout in the kegerator, at 11 or 12 days, SWMBO practically gave up on the beer because it just wasn't showing any signs of carbonation. But at day 14 or 15, it seemed fully carbonated. I still don't get it, but a couple beers have done that; they don't seem carb'ed at all until, seemingly overnight, they hit that thershold where they seem perfect. Go figure.

That reminds me of my Nutella stout I did recently. I did the 30psi and shake method, left it for 3 days and bottled out of the keg. (It was my third beer) Thing was super under carbonated. Kinda annoying. Oh well, you brew, you learn.

Also make sure you are reading the temp of the beer, not the ambient fridge temp. Unless you are using a controller taking the beer's temp your beer might not be as cold as you think. Even so, eventually it will carb to some level but you might have to adjust the pressure a bit to get it where you want it.

Hmm, maybe I'll put a bottle of water in the fridge and take the temp reading of that. I can't imagine that it's that different from the inside of the fridge considering how long it's been in there.

Starting simple.... Are you sure your valve is open on the gas line? I use valves off the regulator so I can turn it off. The regulator still reads the line pressure but if the valve is closed then no gas flows.

Yes its simple but its happened to me before.

I am positive that the valves are on. If you give the keg a good shake, you hear the faint work of the CO2 tank

Just shake it. Crank the pressure up to 15-20 psi, shake it until you get bored (or roll it on the floor, that's easier on your back and knees), let it sit overnight, bring the pressure down to what the chart says and let it sit for a few more days, releasing pressure every so often. Voila.

I was trying to avoid the crank and shake method, but I need to bottle this soon so I can get my 10 gallon batch of hefeweizen carbed up for vacation in a couple weeks.

FYI tripels are supposed to be highly carbonated, 3 vols minimum with 3.5 being typical.

That table shows carb levels for typical/average beers. Tripels are above-average when it comes to carbonation.

I've read that they are supposed to be anywhere from 1.9-2.4? Just looked at one of those calculators.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to bump up the psi for a bit and see how she fairs.

Back