My beer came out watery? what happened

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atomic

Reaction score
I have been home brewing for a little over a year now i beleive this is my 6th batch. My concern is my latest batch it is a spiced ale http://www.mdhb.com/recipies/RUDOLPH.pdf <--recipe here. I followed all directions and not sure what or where i went wrong.

my previous batches have been great and before i used a 3 gal brew pot.

this spiced ale i purchased a bigger brew pot 5 1/2 gal because i read boiling more will give more flavor.

what i have noticed with this batch is that the flavor is big and spicy at first note but there after it just seems watery.

I had this sit in primary for 8 days then racked to secondary for 14 days then aged in keg at 13 psi for 5 days

any bits of info is appreciated thanks:drunk:

It fermented pretty dry so that is the 'watery' taste you are experiencing. Should still be a good beer but next time use some more specialty grains and extend the boil a bit to carmelize things.

trial and error... i guess coming out of the element of a smaller brew pot.

My wife had a funny joke saying it was the best tasting light beer she ever had lol.

does that also explain why the head is very thin and barely there?

It fermented pretty dry so that is the 'watery' taste you are experiencing. Should still be a good beer but next time use some more specialty grains and extend the boil a bit to carmelize things.

Could also be the 1lb honey. It boosts your ABV without providing any body.

I'd let it sit longer. 5 days in keg is not a long time. Spiced ales take a little bit of time to develop. Try it again in a month or two before making a final assessment. You'll know something went wrong if it's still watery by then.

Or less water, how much water did you steep your grains in?

How much water did you boil?

Just noticed that it has been in the keg for only 5 days. It is likely not yet fully carbonated. That could make you perceive the beer as more watery.

^^ that is true. It can change your perception. You also describe a small head. It probably is not fully carbed. Or this particular style needs more carbonation.

I haven't worked with a keg but the spiced ale I put in bottles took over 2 months to come together. It was watery or thin and then one day it was just great. Give yours some more time.

thanks everyone. i steeped grains in 4 gal. of water. after alot of reading im seeing alot of the same things being said about sierra nevada clones and some IPA's . So time is of the essence lol.

On a side note I am new to kegging this is my first kegged batch. I am fine with the waiting but I am now curious about the tempature. The spiced ale is in a mini fridge sitting at around 45 degrees at 10 psi should i bump down the temp and bump up the psi?

I would say it has to do with not being allowed to carbonate enough, i brewed a batch of New Belgian Pale Ale, and bottled it then left on a hunting trip, my roommates called saying the beer was flat and watery, but they opened a bottle only 4 days after bottling!!!

I made a similar holiday spiced brew. Left mine in secondary for a month. It's been bottled for two weeks now. I had one last night just to see how it's going. It definitely needs to sit longer. I'll probably try one in another two weeks.

Back