My Batch Has Exploded...Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac3737

Reaction score
Hey guys, trying to figure out what to do with my batch, I just checked on it after 1 day of putting the yeast in and it blew off the airlock and has spewed all over the place. Is it still good if I keep it in the Carboy and put the airlock back on or is it shot?

Clean and sanitize the airlock and stick it back in there. Just because it is open doesn't necessarily mean your beer is bad now. I've had my bucket lid COMPLETELY fly off when I first started brewing. I picked it up and slapped it back on with no problems. Beer is more forgiving than you might think.

Hey guys, trying to figure out what to do with my batch, I just checked on it after 1 day of putting the yeast in and it blew off the airlock and has spewed all over the place. Is it still good if I keep it in the Carboy and put the airlock back on or is it shot?

Better get used to this. I start all my batches with a "blow-off" tube. Go to a hardware store and buy a length (~3ft) of 3/8" or 1/2" vinyl tubing, attach one end to either the airlock or the bung, place the other end in a large bottle with a inch or so of water and starsan.

You batch is likely fine. Just sanitize the area and replace the lock. I have had many volcano all over the place. In fact, there is probably one spewing all over my basement right now while I'm at work.

Positive pressure. Chances are if you had enough co2 spewing from the bowels of your yeast to make blowoff, you have enough to blow dust and other small particles away from the opening. Your beer is 100% A Okay!

Sure enough, check my fermenters at lunch and mine blew out as well. I even had a blow off tube attached. It shot the bung and tube across the room.

Thanks guys, ill get to working on all this stuff! Ill let you know how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back