My Bar build..... (need sketchup help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbarr110

Reaction score
Alright I have been slowly and cautiosly preparing my bar build. I started in Autocad but have never been good at 3D modeling in CAD. So I started playing with google sketchup once the CAD layout met my satisfaction. Sketchupis relatively easy to learn after you mess with it for a while, however have issues with objects not staying on the right layers.

The following image shows only 2 layers on, the walls and the 2x skeleton of the bar. If you look at the 2x wood, the faces of the framing are lost on another layer somehow.
framingww5.png

This one has all my layers on.
panelswy6.png

Why am I losing portions of my objects to layers they arent drawn on?

Here is an overall of what it will kinda look like, this was an earlier revision.

trialbar2ps2.png

I work with Autocad all the time but only in flat 3 view drawings (mechanical). I would love to be able to draw in 3D like that, what are you using and is it freeware?

I work with Autocad all the time but only in flat 3 view drawings (mechanical). I would love to be able to draw in 3D like that, what are you using and is it freeware?

Yes it is freeware, google search for sketchup, its a piece of google software.

I've never had trouble with layers in sketchup although I don't tend to do a lot of layers unless I'm doing existing and proposed layers. Sketchup is really user friendly if you know how to use any other CAD program you'll cry when you find out how powerful and easy Sketchup is. The other thing is that Sketchup has downloadable objects called components that you get off the web things like windows, cars, sinks, people, pretty much anything so if your building a house or something you can almost do most of it with components. In fact many manufacturers build models of there products and make components of them for people to put into their designs.

I'm so glad I found this program.. Looks like alot of fun..\\

My Only comments on the design of the bar is.. why not have you taps in the middle of the front of the bar instead of in the corner?

Guess It's harder for your buddies to reach over and get a unseen refill..

I play with Sketchup all the time and can't say that I have had this problem yet. My best advice is to do everthing as a component. Draw out a 2x4 then save it as a component. Draw your sheet of plywood and save it as a component. Etc, etc, etc. That way you can go back and get individual measurements, hide the things getting in your way or look into layers. For me, components were the key. If you just connect lines onto another piece (ie, your plywood off of the 2x4) it all becomes one entity and things can get out of hand. There are a lot of tutorials on the internet but I found playing with it to be the best way to learn. Use plans (BYO's Brutus 10 was good...and easy) and build each piece as a component. You'll get it soon and find that it is really a great program!! Hope I was able to help some here.

I'm so glad I found this program.. Looks like alot of fun..\\

My Only comments on the design of the bar is.. why not have you taps in the middle of the front of the bar instead of in the corner?

Guess It's harder for your buddies to reach over and get a unseen refill..

The Keezer is going to be on the other side of the wall in the laundry room, so along that wall works best. I also have kids and would rather avoid them accidentally hitting the taps when they are sitting at the bar eating or whatever they may be doing.

I've never had trouble with layers in sketchup although I don't tend to do a lot of layers unless I'm doing existing and proposed layers. Sketchup is really user friendly if you know how to use any other CAD program you'll cry when you find out how powerful and easy Sketchup is. The other thing is that Sketchup has downloadable objects called components that you get off the web things like windows, cars, sinks, people, pretty much anything so if your building a house or something you can almost do most of it with components. In fact many manufacturers build models of there products and make components of them for people to put into their designs.

Thanks for the help there, making each piece of a wood a component fixes the issue. A pain in the ass, but does fix it. I still put everything on the layers that I want isolated to certain layers, that way you can essentially create your own building instructions/manual by using the layers.

Being a user of AutoCAD for over 12 years now, the issue with one layers swallowing another if they share the same plane is a MAJOR oversight by the developers of the software. However, I give them props for making 3D modeling very easy.

I've been playing with sketchup a while now and never knew about layers! I came to love components and more importantly the push/pull tool. instead of drawing all the lines for a 2x4, draw a box 1.5 by your length, then pull it up 3.5" and you get you box. You steps instead of 12 lines.
Drew my keezer, my entire basement. The garage. Fun at work.

YouTube has some good tutorials as well./ Just search for sketchup tutorials

I'll second the component suggestion. It makes drafting in Sketchup so much easier. And don't be afraid to make a Group consisting of several components. Like if you have a section of the bar that will be built in one portion. Grab all of those items and make them one group.

Most of the time, I like groups better than components for individual pieces. Components will self-update, so watch out for them. If one 2x4 changes length, all the others from that component will change as well.

I don't have CAD experience, but I'm very impressed with the power of Sketchup! There are plenty of tutorials on youtube put up by Google. There is probably one on layers. Good luck with the bar.

The most amazing thing about Sketchup is how powerful the free version is. The ONLY limitation that I've found so far is in your importing / exporting options. There is also a very slick presentation program called Layout that's available to Pro users of Sketchup.

I began using Sketchup about 3 months ago for my business and I can't stop praising it. I'm in construction / remodeling and it literally sold a job the first time I used it.

Looks great!

Good call on the tap location--I have 3 kids and those little buggers LOVE sitting/playing/eating at the bar.

Plus you'd have foaming and warm lines problems galore if you try to run lines to a different location.

Only one suggestion--double your visible storage space (the space where customers/patrons can see) so they can see the hard liquor selection. As your bar grows, people will bring bottles and other treats, and soon you'll have a large stock. Keep the under bar storage for bar games, extra glasses, and stuff you don't share. ;)

Latest posts

Back