My attempt at a parti-gyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombo80

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so call me a freak. :rockin:

I still had all my grains leftover from the stout I brewed on Sat.. I had set them in my breezeway after sparging. I brought the lauter tun in the house, and heated up 5 gal. of water, to 170*. Poured 3 gallons over the grains, and stirred them up, reaching as close to the bottom as possible. Then I let it settle for 5 minutes. I then started the runoff, and recirculating it, since I stirred it all up, and once it cleared up, I then sparged the grains with 4 more gallons of water. It was pretty weak at the end.

As the boiler came up to temp, I mixed the wort, and took some out to get a gravity reading. Still pretty low. I then figured I would boil it down further than usual, and get it to about 4 gallons. I figured that would be a decent, low gravity beer. As it was boiling, (120 minutes total) I was looking through my recipe books, and found an interesting honey steam beer. So, knowing I had several jars of honey in the cellar, I decided that is what I was going to try and make this beer.

I'm not really sure how much sugar I really got from the grain, I'll have to try and calculate that later. I ended up adding 2 pounds of clover honey, and 1 pound corn sugar. I put 1 oz. Tettnanger hop pellets for 60 minutes, 1 oz Fuggle hop pellets for 20 minutes, and 1 oz. Fuggle hop pellets for 5 minutes. Cooled it down, and took a gravity reading of 1.034. Pretty good I think. I pitched in my Rocky Mountain Lager yeast, propagator pack, and let it sit.

Tonight, if I have activity, I'll put it in my lagering spot. I have a crawl space under the breezeway, that is not heated, and works very well for lagering beer.

Let me know if you think. Am I nuts for trying this ?? I think it will turn out to be a decent light bodied, dark beer. We'll see.

Later,

Bombo

very cool, next time if you brew up a barley wine the second runnings give a nice start to a session beer. I have never tryed it but hey thats one way to really get the most for ur money. good luck cant wait to hear back:ban:

Should be interesting. Most of your fermentables are from the honey & corn sugar, but the wort should get some good flavors from the stout grains. How did it taste when you pitched?

Back