My arduino fermentation temp controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbord37

Reaction score
Because I just finished re-wiring it, and because everyone loves pictures.

I did a simple one wire temp sensor and added a 2 channel sainsmart relay to an arduino Mega. I added the terminal blocks because I can't stand push pin connectors and put it all on din rail to keep it organized. I'm going to cut down the din rail and find an appropriate enclosure to put it all in. I also added a circuit breaker and a second outlet so that all I have to do is plug the unit into the wall with a cord I assembled and it powers both the freezer and the arduino.

The mega is way overkill but I will likely replace it with an uno and use the mega for automating a rims and boil kettle system. Any tips or feedback appreciated!

image.jpg

Looks good. :rockin: Two questions.

Why a mega? Does it do something for this application that a regular arduino will not?

Did you write your own code, or are you borrowing / adapting a pre-existing sketch?

Happy fermenting!

Cody

Looks good. :rockin: Two questions.

Why a mega? Does it do something for this application that a regular arduino will not?

Did you write your own code, or are you borrowing / adapting a pre-existing sketch?

Happy fermenting!

Cody

Hey Cody, thanks!

The mega is just what I bought because it was not that much more than an uno. As I mentioned I will probably replace this one with an arduino uno and use the Mega for my next project.

I wrote my own code, but it was incredibly simple. I got the "getting started with sketches" book with my arduino and just learned the basics of the arduino language. Then, I downloaded the libraries for the one wire temp controller and dallastemperature (to read into Fahrenheit) and just used the functions it included.

I would be more than happy to share the file or the plain text if you want

Cheers,
Jason

I would be more than happy to share the file or the plain text if you want

Cheers,
Jason

Jason,

Yes, I would be interested in your solution if you are willing to share. I am working on two different arduino controlled systems in my spare time. One is for counter top sous vide system. The other is a small, recirculating 1.5 - 3 gallon biab stove top system. Both are in the concept stage, and I am looking at different examples and parts I can build on.

Thank You,

Cody

I would also be interested in the code. I will be using a uno. I plan to also utilize an lcd with control buttons to adjust the temperature and the +/- amounts (acceptable deviation)..

Thank you..

What temp sensor are you using? It looks, as simple as you've done this, that an Arduino Pro Mini would work, and be a tiny footprint. You can get mini clones for under 7 dollars!

The arduino nano with the terminal block is a great compact package that I use for similar projects (humidity control). It has the same capabilities of an uno (slightly less I/O) and total cost on ebay is about $7 shipped on the slow boat. I am using one in my automated homebrew panel to provide additional cheap I/O for my PLC. You can see it on the right / middle part of the attached pic. I bought some din rail adapters to mount it right on the rail.

Brewpane_20150212.jpg

Back