My Apricot IPA is on Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
This was the recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1399&page=1&pp=10

For those of you who freaked at the amount of hops.....you'd be shocked at how well integrated this beer is. It's not overly bitter at all. It has a definite hop character, but it's balanced throughout. It has nice bitterness, nice flavor, and nice aroma, but not too much of any. I attribute this to my "constant" hop addition.

As an IPA, I'm thoroughly pleased, and it's still a bit green. I hope it lasts a month so I can give you a report then. :D

The one thing I'm disappointed in is the lack of apricot flavor. It has a bit of a fruity bite, but it's hard to tell whether that's from the apricot, or the yeast. I've got some apricot extract, but I'm not going to mess with that. I tried a couple drops in a brew a while back, and it tasted a bit artificial.

I'm going to tweak this recipe and do it again.....it's pretty f***ing good as it is. I'm going to tweak my hop bill and use twice the apricot for double the time. I'm also going to use whole hops.

I also have to mention that this is my second AG batch, and I am thoroughly pleased that it's fundementally sound. My first (a simple bitter) came out kinda jacked up. Even since this batch I've tweaked my routine quite a bit, so it should only be better next time around.

I can't fuggin' wait. :D

cool! i am suprised with all the hops you used. probably why the apricot is tuned down a bit.

glad it worked out well.......

Sam75 said:
The one thing I'm disappointed in is the lack of apricot flavor. It has a bit of a fruity bite, but it's hard to tell whether that's from the apricot, or the yeast.

I made a peach pale ale not too long ago and I had that same fruity bite. When drinking it one couldn't tell what fruit it was just a pronounced fruity bitter tang. I made it for friends so I didn't have to drink it. They liked it.
I think if you add more fruit your just going to get a stonger bite. Good luck with it and let me know if you try it again.

Back