My airlock somehow siphoned back into the carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hossfly

Reaction score
I'm guessing about 1-2 oz of vodka siphoned back into my fresh wort before ferm even started last night. Anyone ever experience this?

Took it apart this am and shook it around, made sure it was freed up and put it back in the bung. Hopefully it works right now...(3-piece by the way)

Somebody please tell me this won't affect the finished product, as this was a pretty expensive kit.

I have had the same exact thing happen as you describe with no ill effect on the end product. It should turn out fine.

All you did was make your beer a bit stronger. Were you cold crashing with the 3 piece airlock in place? This is a common cause of back siphoning.

I think we have all had this happen. I use sanitizer in my airlock and often have small amounts leak back in with no impact on flavor.

Your wort was still warmer than the ambient temp in the room when you put the airlock on. As it cooled the air inside contracted and sucked in the vodka.
Don't worry your beer will be just fine.

Your wort was still warmer than the ambient temp in the room when you put the airlock on. As it cooled the air inside contracted and sucked in the vodka.
Don't worry your beer will be just fine.

This. I don't seal the fermenter until the wort has finished cooling (I've reached my target fermentation temp) or active fermentation has started.

If it's just vodka, it shouldn't hurt anything. Just top up the vodka in the airlock and let the yeast do their thing.

Back