My ABV seems too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunggo

Reaction score
Hi.

So, this is my first batch of beer. It is a red ale and supposed to have an ABV of 5.25% - 5.75%. Here is my schedule so far:
Sunday: Brewed the beer, storing in bathtub (ambient air is 70F-75F)
Monday: Bubbling like crazy
Tuesday: Still bubbling, slowed down
Wednesday: 20 seconds between bubbles
Thursday: 30 seconds between bubbles
Friday: 40 seconds between bubbles
Saturday: Longer than 40 (no measurement taken), but I think it was about a minute.

So, today is Saturday. When I talked to the person I know who brews, they said it would probably be fine to transfer to the secondary now. The beer smelled pretty good when I opened it up. I transfered my beer to a secondary fermenter. When I took the ABV rating, it was 4.86%, which is too low. What does one do in this case? Should I pitch in a little more yeast? Will the residual yeast in the beer raise this value? Is this OK?

Thanks,
Tom

You have beer.

I'd prolly just wait another 3 - 6 weeks, and see what happens in the secondary. Nevertheless, you should be okay.

Need a little more information. Where you using a extract kit, partial, or all grain. Do you have a hydrometer? If so what was your starting a finishing gravity reading?

Leave it where it is. The yeast may still be working slowly, or it might be finished. Either way you should be fine to just leave it for 2-4 weeks and then bottle or keg.

if it drops a few more points in secondary, then you will pick up a bit more ABV. but 4.86 really isn't that far off from 5.25, so i wouldn't sweat it. just do as others have suggested and leave it in secondary for a few weeks and it'll be a fine beer i'm sure.

Back