My 2nd Batch Log - Brewhouse Red Ale (Oktoberfest)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redline

Reaction score
So I began my second batch this morning, I went with a Brewhouse kit. I found out that the manufacturer is very close to where I live, and I can get them very fresh and for only $30 a kit!

I was originally going to brew an IPA, but unfortunately they were all out of stock and aren't making any more for a week or two, so that will likely be my next brew. I decided on the Red Ale, after reading a few positive reviews. Here's one with two parts if you're interested:

http://www.fermentarium.com/reviews/beer-reviews/review-the-brew-house-beer-kit-part-one/
http://www.fermentarium.com/reviews/beer-reviews/brew-house-beer-kit-part-two/

The description on their website is as follows:

Stylistically positioned between a German Alt Beer and the Oktoberfest, our red ale is copper red in colour. It has a pronounced crisp, malty character, with delicate hop bitterness and a pleasing floral aroma.
Blessed with all of these thirst quenching attributes, this beer is sure to please!
The brewing process went well so far, and was very easy. Being only my second batch, I like easy. I made a few mistakes on my first brew, but this time I felt very good about my process. Good OG rating of 1.045 (right within the recommended 1.040-1.050 range), should hopefully be around 5% ABV at the end.

I had originally planned on using wyeast, but unforutnately bought a propogator pack without anything to make a starter. :confused: Learned my lesson there, so rather than do something stupid I just pitched with the included dry yeast and scrapped the wyeast until my next batch.

So far, I already can think of two things I will undertake on my next batch:
1) Wyeast Activator
2) Fresh Bottled Water - these kits are great because they only require 8L of water. I live in Vancouver, so our tap water is excellent and good for brewing, but I'd like to see the difference bottled water could make.

A couple questions I have going forward:

1) I'm planning on dry hopping with Cascade hops I already picked up. I have 2 oz, should I use both or just go with 1 oz? IBU's is rated 18 on this kit. Would there be a noticeable differed between 1 & 2 oz?

2) When should I add the dry hops? I've read the last 7-10 days in the secondary. The kit calls for 15 days of secondary fermentation, should I just put it in then when I rack it to the secondary, or just do the standard 7-10 days?

3) I'm also looking to improve my carbonation. I know time heals all wounds here, but my last batch was a little un-carbonated for my liking (but it might have been a mistake I made during the process) I used 190G of priming sugar, same for this coming batch. Any other tips here?

Sorry for the long post, but I appreciate any help you guys can offer. Cheers

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

Let me know if bottled water helps. In Spokane, we also have good tap water. But I'm curious if my beer will improve with bottled or boiled water.

I liked the Brewhouse kits before I went to extracts then AG. You should look at some of the kit tweaks on their webpage. I wouldn't worry too hard about using liquid yeasts--when I started brewing I mistakenly had the idea they were "better" but as it turns out, they are no better (but do provide more variety) but are much more expensive than dry yeast.

I use spring water for brewing but if you like your tap water keep brewing with it. That's what most people recommend. Shouldn't be hard to get a water report for Vancouver so you can adjust your water profile once you are comfortable with the rest of the brewing process.

You can probably avoid using a secondary altogether. Many advanced brewers now go from primary to bottling bucket or keg. So as to your dry hopping question, in your case I would think a sanitized hop sock will work fine and start with an ounce for maybe four or five days. Do some reading on HBT here about how to dry hop; there are a lot of good ways. I would suggest using the sock for a beginning brewer so you are not dealing with too much hop sludge later, floating hops, etc.

190 grams is the standard that comes with the Brewhouse kits and should provide enough carbonation. Heat water to at least 170 (won't hurt to boil it), then stir in your priming sugar, make sure it's all dissolved, toss that in your bottling bucket, then rack your beer on top of it. If it makes you feel better you can give it a gentle stir with a sanitized spoon or your racking cane, but you shouldn't have to. Then make sure you give your beer a MINIMUM of 3 weeks at 70 to carb up.

Good luck! And if you are looking for alternate kits, try the Festa Brew. They come with 23 litres of wort (no water needs to be added) and proper yeast (i.e. appropriate for style). I recall the Brewhouse all come with the same "meh" Coopers yeast (which is actually a good enough reason to use liquid yeast as you were planning).

IMHO, this beer really doesn't need a secondary at all. Give it 3 weeks in the primary and then add the hops and let it sit a week before bottling.

You mentioned that the kit only required 8L of water, what's the total volume when your done?

If it is the standard 5 gallon/21 L kit, 2 oz of Cascades will give you a great citrusy floral aroma.

Thanks for your reply osagedr. Yes part of the reason I was planning to use liquid yeast is because it comes with the cooper's. Next time.

I have heard all the recommendations for not using the secondary fermentation. I only have 1 fermenter and 1 carboy, so it's nice to rack to the secondary, so I can rack back to the fermenter for bottling. Being only my 2nd batch, I'm going to stick with the directions, but for future batches I'm going to try using only the primary.

Thanks for the recommendation on Festa Brew, I'll have a look into them. Do you prefer those to Brewhouse kits? I see they have a nice looking West Coast IPA....

190 grams is the standard that comes with the Brewhouse kits and should provide enough carbonation. Heat water to at least 170 (won't hurt to boil it), then stir in your priming sugar, make sure it's all dissolved, toss that in your bottling bucket, then rack your beer on top of it. If it makes you feel better you can give it a gentle stir with a sanitized spoon or your racking cane, but you shouldn't have to. Then make sure you give your beer a MINIMUM of 3 weeks at 70 to carb up.

Have a question for you regarding the priming sugar. When I did my first batch, I think I did two things wrong - I don't believe I used boiling water, I think I just poured it into my beer. I also stirred it significantly, should I not do this? Thx

I have heard all the recommendations for not using the secondary fermentation. I only have 1 fermenter and 1 carboy, so it's nice to rack to the secondary, so I can rack back to the fermenter for bottling. Being only my 2nd batch, I'm going to stick with the directions, but for future batches I'm going to try using only the primary.

Thanks for the recommendation on Festa Brew, I'll have a look into them. Do you prefer those to Brewhouse kits? I see they have a nice looking West Coast IPA....

You can leave it in your primary until you want to bottle, then bottle from your carboy.

I have very good things to say about both Brewhouse (made my RJ Spagnols, my favourite wine kit manufacturer) and Festa Brew kit. My all time favourite kit is Festa Brew Double Oatmeal Stout. I'm drinking one now, and not at all sure I've made an AG batch yet that is as good.

Have a question for you regarding the priming sugar. When I did my first batch, I think I did two things wrong - I don't believe I used boiling water, I think I just poured it into my beer. I also stirred it significantly, should I not do this? Thx

Well the water doesn't have to be boiling, just hot enough to ensure nothing nasty gets into your beer. In fact I don't boil mine, just heat a cup and a half or so of water to at least 170, gradually stir in the dextrose, add it to the bottling bucket (or carboy) and rack your beer on top. If you follow that practise you shouldn't need to stir it; although some people feel better if they do. Go ahead if you like, but do so very gently--air/oxygen are the mortal enemy of your beer except for during the early stages of fermentation! That's one of the reasons many brewers no longer use a secondary--the extra racking exposes your beer to air.

So It's been 3.5 days, took an SG reading tonight - was sitting at 1.010-1.012 (kit said 1.020 and under). I'm going away for a day so I'll check it again in a couple.

One question though - I've got some crazy layer on the top, its bubbly and got a bit of thickness/texture to it....anything to worry about?

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

Update - the substance has subsided, although I'm still curious as to what it was...

Checked the SG on Monday and Wednesday, and it appears to be stable at 1.010-1.012 (kit says under 1.020). So far so good I hope.

So I started brewing this kit yesterday. I hacked it a bit though. I boiled the original wort. Threw in 1 oz of warrior hops at 90 minutes, then an ounce of pacifica and nugget at 60 minutes. I plan to dry hop with 2 oz of Pacifica when I rack into the secondary. I ended up with an OG of 1.055. I used the cooper's dry yeast and from the looks of the airlock activity it is fermenting well. Has anyone hacked this or any of the other brewhouse kits before? I am not completely sure what to expect.....other than a high ibu red ale.

Back