My 1st infection! WOOHOO!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackwood

Reaction score
Brewed 3 - 10 gallon batches a couple of weeks ago and the last 10gal I forgot to make starters(too much HB while brewing) and had to let the wort is 3 days before yeasties were ready. Split the batch into 2 - 5gal ferm buckets and when I aerated the first all was good. The second, though, had a smidgen of mold growing on the top. Didn't worry too much about it and just aerated the crap our of it and pitched the yeast. Checked tonight and all 5 gallon beers are looking perfect except that one. I knew it wouldn't go correct, so I figured I'd just leave it and see what happens with my 1st infected batch. BIG bunch of BIG BUBBLED foam still on the top. Looks pretty cool, actually! Replaced the lid and swirled the crap out of it to see if anything might fall in the next day or so.

I'm not worried about it, I'll bottle from beneath and just see what happens.

Is it weird that I'm actually kind of excited that I finally got my 1st infection?

Any tips to leave it longer for some reason or hurry and rack from below?

haha Let me know! HAPPY INFECTED BREWING!:ban:

What will the wife do to you when she finds out about this?

The usual, blame it on the hookers, but I KNOW it was just a misstep in sanitizing one of my buckets or lids!

(Why do they ALWAYS blame the hookers?)

Yeah, it's weird you're excited about it. It probably won't taste very good. Try to figure out where it came from and put it in the past.

Yeah, it's weird you're excited about it. It probably won't taste very good. Try to figure out where it came from and put it in the past.

no way to know without trying. If you don't need the fermenter, might as well give it a try and see what happens. Might turn out to be a wild yeast that will yield some decent results.

Pretty likely it came from waiting so long to pitch. That gave any chance bug or yeast a better opportunity to get established.

NO INFECTION!

I let it right for another couple of weeks and it ended up being long hanging krausen. Other one fell as usual, but this one decided not to.

All is well in the world! :D

Uh, NO! haha. I'm not real worried about infections as I do tend to over sanitize if not sterilize. This on just sat for 3 days before pitching so I figured I finally got something.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Why would you be happy about getting an infection? Not only did you just waste beer but also money and time

Infection does not always mean the end for a brew. It may/will taste different etc etc, but racking from beneath you can still be O.K.

Turned out it was just a krausen that didn't want to fall. All is good.

Back