Mutliple hop additions w/ 1 bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregsky

Reaction score
Im going to be brewing an extract kit with hop pellets that calls for additions of hops at different times of teh boil, but I only have 1 hop bag. Will I be ok if I just keep adding hops to the bag even if the old hops are still in there (as long as I keep the timings right for all of them)? Otherwise I could just throw them into the boil and try to keep them in the pot as much as possible when I transfer to the fermenter - which leads me to another question - What if I poured them into the primary fermentor and just let them settle out?

I wouldn't mess with opening the bag unless that's something you really want to do. I always just toss my hops in at the right time, and then after my wort is cooled, I pour through a sanitized strainer into the fermenter. A colander (like for spaghetti) works great for this. Or if you don't strain it, it'll all settle out in the fermenter.

just skip the hop bag. everything will settle out after you've racked it into a carboy. even if you don't strain it like yooper suggested.

You can add multiple additions to the same bag. If you want, tie to to a rod or something so you can fish it out easily.

Here's what I use now to make multiple hop additions a piece of cake.

Now, after saying all that, I agree that throwing everything in would also be OK. I have to use the bag as a filter now that I've got a pump and CFC.

I never even bother with a hop bag, just toss them in. You can either strain them out when you pour your wort into the fermenter (be sure the strainer is sanitized) or you can dump them in the fermenter along with everything else and they will settle out during fermentation.

Thanks for the responses. Im going to try using just the single bag and adding to it.

I've done one baggers. Getting the knots out of a steaming hot bag is a pain, if you're not careful.

david_42 said:
I've done one baggers. Getting the knots out of a steaming hot bag is a pain, if you're not careful.

I don't bother knotting the bag, just loop it through the kettle handle a few times

edit: Like so:

PorterBeerDay025.jpg

Back