Must you boil 1 hour or more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epimetheus

Reaction score
If the first hop addition is at 30 minutes, do you still have to boil 60 minutes or more? How long does it take to resolve the undesirable proteins?

I'm not the best on this but I've seen a lot of recipe with 30 minutes or even 15 minutes and they didn't need the common 1 hour boiling time.

If the first hop addition is at 30 minutes, do you still have to boil 60 minutes or more? How long does it take to resolve the undesirable proteins?

If it's an extract batch, then no. The extract doesn't need to be boiled.

If it's an all-grain batch, then yes. You definitely want to boil long enough to boil off the DMS precursors (that takes the longest), kill any lactobacillus and any other bacteria, and coagulate proteins.

Is it necessary to do the whole 1 hour or just wait until the foam comes up?

Is it necessary to do the whole 1 hour or just wait until the foam comes up?

As Yooper pointed out, yes it is beneficial to bring wort to a boil for at least an hour (extracts have already been through that process by the time you get them). Thats not to say the wort for a particular batch may be "done" after 30min, but since there is no foolproof way to know that, one hour is a standard safe zone and should provide an adequate buffer.

[Edit] sorry Yooper- that'll teach me from walking away without refreshing my screen........

The newer pils malts aren't that bad when it comes to DMS. I do boil an hour+ though. Mainly cause I boil FWH or 60 min additions. I do wait till the hot break before timing the 60 min for any 60 min hop additions since hot break tends to boil over and the boil isn't really rolling along till then anyway.

DMS is one reason a vigorous uncovered boil is necessary.

On a side note. Another advantage of longer boils is that any volatile chemicals like chlorine, pestisides, etc will boil off.

Well,when doing kit-n-kilo style beers,or when using pre-hopped cans with some DME,then I usually do only enough time for the first hop addition which for me is usually 20 minutes or so. Kit-n-kilo beers with no hop additions can be done safetly in 15 minutes or so,ime. But when steeping,partial mashing,or AG then you def need at least a 1 hour boil.

I boil 75 minutes on just about everything. I start my timer as soon as ALL of the hot break has become mixed in.

Thank you, now I understand.

Has anyone experimented with all grain pale malts, boil times, and DMS content?

I do wait till the hot break before timing the 60 min for any 60 min hop additions since hot break tends to boil over and the boil isn't really rolling along till then anyway.
I start my timer as soon as ALL of the hot break has become mixed in.
I think waiting for the hot break to start the timer is key. After that, especially if you're using extracts, you really only need to boil with regard to hop utilization.

Back