Must turned green, then brown, now red.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmiller356

Reaction score
Tulsa, Oklahoma AND Springfield, Missouri
A friend of mine started his first batch by himself from grapes that he got on sale. He said it was looking fine then it turned green, then the next day he said it looked like poop. I've no idea how to approach it, but I told him to keep it going and see what happens. Today he sent me a picture and it looked fine. What do you all think?

image-203397012.jpg

image-1569284877.jpg

image-2730864811.jpg

Green is from the juice + yeast bloom.

Brown is the must getting some red from the skins + yeast

Red is the must clearing and getting red from the skins.

Love that green glow though! Almost nuclear!

Glad I could help - the longer he leaves it on the skins the darker the red will be - if he pitched with a "white wine" yeast he might want to rack it off the skins pretty soon and have a rose style wine. Otherwise leave it on the skins and it will get a bit darker (a couple of oak cubes at some point might be nice too).

Let us know how it turns out!

That's happened to me a few times.

For example- catawba grapes have a dark skin, but green flesh. So you can make a white (no skins) or a rose' wine.

When you crush, the pulp and first few days of fermentation show green must but then once you press, it turns brown. It ends up a nice rose' wine, so don't worry!

Oh, I almost forgot this little gem! A few years ago, a friend gave us a whole bunch of plums from his trees for wine. They were not the big purple plums you see in the store, but instead brown/purple skinned plums with brown flesh.

I made them into wine, and after racking into secondary I missed a ton of pulp or sediment or something. The wine was light brown, with big floaties of dark brown. I mean, BIG floaties, like turd sized.

It looked like a toilet bowl at a bad frat party. I couldn't bear to look at it, and covered it with a blanket and called in my "poop wine". It was that bad!

Anyway, the wine eventually turned out to be a light pink color, with hints of red in it, and tasted great with fruity notes of raisin. I didn't tell people that it was "formerly known as poop beer", and it was all good.

My tomato wine, made with red tomatoes, is golden colored when done.

Weird, off topic, but true stories.

Back