Must Read Brew Books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDawg

Reaction score
I have read the following:

How to Brew by Palmer
Designing Great Beers by Daniels
The Joy of Home Brewing by Papazian
Brewing Up a Business by Calagione

I was just curious what else is must reading for brewers.

Brewing Classic Styles
The new Yeast Book from Jamil and Chris White ( pre-ordered signed copy from The Brewing Network )

Jamil is doing a signing of his Yeast book about 20mins from me at lunchtime for $20 (book included). Too bad I don't have time to skip across town.

I agree Brewing Classic Styles is a good book for technique and recipes.

+1 on Classic Styles. It's probably the next technical book you would want to read. Since you read Calagione's book, you might enjoy Ambitious Brew by Ogden. It's about the history of beer brewing in America.

Extreme Brewing is probably the most noob-friendly intro to homebrewing I've read. Brewing Up a Business (another Calagione!) is actually a great read in itself, even if you're not into brewing.

Radical Brewing has been the most influential book to me so far. It was everything I was hoping Designing Great Beers would be, but wasn't, and then a lot more.

all of the style series books are great and very informative. something great to learn in each one

farmhouse ales -markowski is a great book if you like saison, beer de garde

homebrewers answer book - mr. wizard - was really good when i was starting out.

i like moshers homebrewers companion also - it has some false (outdated) information so you have to watch out but if you want a good introduction to some more of the complex issues with brewing it is a good starting book.

and of course all of the other ones mentioned above are great reads as well.

I'm still trying to work my way through:

Brewing Science and Practice (2004)
Brewing Yeast and Fermentation
Brewing New Technologies

The first one is about 1000 pages. Second is about 500.

My library consist of:
Brewing classic styles
Extreme brewing
Brew chem 101
Beer school (bottling success at the Brooklyn brewery)
Brewing up a business
The brewmaster's table
Tasting beer
The homebrewer's garden

In addition to all those listed above, I really like The Brewmaster's Bible by Stephen Snyder. It's packed with info and has tables for hops, malts, yeasts, listing characteristics of each variety. It doesn't cover every variety of every ingredient, but it's a good reference to have on your shelf.

If you're at all interested in beer/food pairing you can't do better than The Brewmaster's Table by Garrett Oliver who is also the Brewmaster of Brooklyn Brewery.

Also not on the how-to tip, but everything Michael Jackson wrote about beer is fantastic for style descriptions, historical perspective and specific beer reviews. I have Great Beers of Belgium, New World Guide to Beer and Beer Companion - all are great.

anyone know of a book that focuses on just german beer styles? I've been trying to find one without much luck.

I've read Microbrewed Adventures by Papazian. It's a good read but really doesn't talk much about brewing techniques. It mostly covers Charlies's adventures around the world to different countries and breweries. There are a LOT of recipes in it though.

Latest posts

Back