Must I use DME to start my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czucker

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm just about to brew my second batch of beer. A friend and I are following the Hennepin recipe.

I'm just wondering if I have to use DME to start my yeast? Is there an alternative?

Just curious.

Thanks,
Chris

I do have some LME and can easily get some dry. Table sugar wasn't a substance of interest.

If I used the LME, could I skim it off what I have for my recipe without any issue?

Thanks for the replies.

Well, I would think so. I mean, you'd only need about 2/3 of a cup in two cups of water for the starter. I doubt you'd miss that amount in your recipe.

LME is about the only viable alternative that I can think of. DME is generally used because it's easiest to work with and stores longer than LME.

Pick up some Malta Goya in the latin section of any grocery store. Mix 50/50 with water and you have a 1.030 starter, but you need to let it finish as it is really dark.

I just started brewing and thought of this the other day when I was watching some videos on youtube.com. Should you use the same kind of extract for the recipe you are using? I know the yeast dont really care what extract they are in, but will it effect the final outcome of the beer if the starter extract is different from the extract you are brewing with? Lets say I am brewing a wheat beer should I use a dark malt extract for a starter?

Back