Must Be Hoppin' Crazy- H-Balm's Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-Balm

Reaction score
So I am in the world of hops production!
Ordered some rhizomes, and am ready to start the project.

The first step outdoors, was to set up my structure device. I have a large property so space is not a concern. I decided upon a back field, that rarely gets used much. I will tuck this hop area along the side, the nice benefit is I will have a little less to mow now.

The location is at the base of a hill, so I was able to get a bit creative. In the shed I had a large spool of wire available. This wire was strung between two trees, one at the bottom of the hill, and the other up a little bit. I was able to get the cable to be about 25' up in the air. My plan will be to have the plants grow up a cord that crosses the support cable. On the other side will be a tie off of the line. This should allow me to untie at harvest time to lower the plant.

Being a heavy wire, strung three passes through, I should be able to support a nice yard down the line.

As for the background, I have no delusions that I will grow truckloads of hops, and make a wonderful side business. It just seems like a fun, goofy thing to try. New York State was a large producer of hops in the past, so it is a little neat to explore the heritage side of it. It also creates more interest for me than growing a tomato or cucumber plant. I am fortunate to have the space, so I may as well play with it!

[...] My plan will be to have the plants grow up a cord that crosses the support cable. On the other side will be a tie off of the line. This should allow me to untie at harvest time to lower the plant.[...]

That'll work, but remember you'll need to have enough extra line in each crossing cord to be able to pull the bines back up....

Cheers!

We are getting there!

Went out to take a look at the hop garden.
Recently had a pretty nice, warm and moist week or two.

All rhizomes have burst through!
Cascade, Fuggle, and Nugget.

At this point the Nuggets are moving the fastest.

Pics tomorrow.

Back