Musselmans Cider & Clearing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeeroyal

Reaction score
So 2 weeks ago I made a batch of cider using Musselmans Cider and D47 yeast. I racked it into a fresh carboy and it still hasn’t cleared like my other batches have. Do I just need to sit on this more or is there something I can do to help clear it?

Time is your friend if your patient. Otherwise cold crash (refrigerator Temps) for 3 to 5 days. There are many fining agents available. I use KC Super Kleer. Finally if nothing works then it could be pectin haze and pectic enzyme will take care of that. (Likely not pectin if you used Musselmans but you never know.)

I’ve tried gelatin and bentonite clay. A lot of it cleared up but it’s still hazy. I can’t cold crash as this is a 3 gallon carboy and with a family of 6, very little room. Here’s what it looks like now after almost 3 weeks in secondary come Monday. I did a reading and it’s at 1.00 so I know it’s done fermenting and I don’t want it to sit too long as I’m afraid it will turn to vinegar eventually if I don’t bottle it soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Nothing wrong with a cloudy cider. If it tastes good, bottle it. It may settle out in the bottle over time. Decant it slowly when you pour and leave behind the sediment.

Latest posts

Back