Mushroom porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
My roommate really wants me to make a mushroom porter. Well, a mushroom beer of any kind, but I think that a porter has the least chance of being totally disgusting. I have a bunch of dried ****take mushrooms and I figure I can make a 5.5 gallon batch and just secondary a gallon or two onto the dried mushrooms to see how it turns out.

Has anyone made a mushroom beer?

Well this is interesting....I just googled to see if there was any mentioned of mushrooms in beer/homebrewing on the internets and the only thing that came up was on a forum about a certain "magical" type of mushroom.:D

But no food type mushrooms...

sounds both disgusting and oddly intruiging. curious to hear more.....

carnevoodoo said:
My roommate really wants me to make a mushroom porter. Well, a mushroom beer of any kind, but I think that a porter has the least chance of being totally disgusting. I have a bunch of dried ****take mushrooms and I figure I can make a 5.5 gallon batch and just secondary a gallon or two onto the dried mushrooms to see how it turns out.

Randy Mosher has a whole chapter in Radical Brewing where he talks about mushrooms and such

HBDrinker008 said:
Randy Mosher has a whole chapter in Radical Brewing where he talks about mushrooms and such

I've always wanted to brew a beer with such. Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure where I can get such around here. Anyone know of any good such dealers?

i love mushrooms. don't know if i'd like them in my beer. must have missed that in mosher's book somehow. maybe i'll try it out if i get bored sometime.

carnevoodoo said:

While I have washed down 'shrooms with beer, it's to get the awful taste outta my mouth.
These grow close to home
DSCN0966.jpg

But you should know your quantities. They will make you very sick if you eat too much..... :cross:

Hammer said:
While I have washed down 'shrooms with beer, it's to get the awful taste outta my mouth.
These grow close to home
DSCN0966.jpg

But you should know your quantities. They will make you very sick if you eat too much..... :cross:

*drools*
I wish I could find Fly Agaric close to home.

OT: I like some mushrooms, but I can't imagine that I'd like them in my beer. If anyone actually tries making shroom beer I'll be interested to hear how it turns out.

carnevoodoo said:
I have a bunch of dried ****take mushrooms

****take is not an expletive!

Seems like it would give a good earthy aroma and flavor. You could just dump some sterilized soil or compost in secondary.

Revvy said:
Hammer, what kind of fungi are those?

That is the fly agaric, or by latin name, amanita muscaria.
Alice in Wonderland notes them, and they're in an old Jefferson Airplane song.
The cap in the pic was near 10" dia.
Their strength is variable, and they can make one quite sick.
And, no, I didn''t eat that one. My days of chasing psychedelics are over......

I've thought about throwing King Boletes in a dark beer before. They are great for soup stocks and the like. I think they would impart a nice earthy flavor and would go well in some kind of porter. I have yet to try it though...

Latest posts

Back