Muscadine wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellisu

Reaction score
Looking to start a one gallon batch of muscadine wine and just looking to see what is the best yest to use.

The last time I made a batch of muscadine wine was around 1984. It was actually my first time making wine. I was 15 years old and had just gotten my drivers license so I went to one of those U-pick farms and picked two 5 gallon buckets of muscadines. I had ordered a winemaking kit from some advertisement in the back of a magazine. Remember, no internet back then. I had done some reading about it at the public library and had already fermented a bucket of smashed up apples for a science fair experiment to make gasohol using a solar still to get the ethanol. So I smashed up my muscadines and set them to fermenting with the wild yeast that is already on the skins. It's that whitish film that you see on the skin. I kept that fermenter in my bedroom closet behind my hanging clothes. To this day, I have never had any wine that tasted as good to me as that first batch. Your question brought up those memories for me so I had to share.

Good luck on your ferment.

I've used EC-1118 and RC-212. This year, I'm trying Cotes des Blanc. All seem to have their own distinct advantages. I'm pleased with the first two I mentioned. Will have to get back with you in two years regarding Cotes.

I got 7lbs this weekend and am going to try the method at the link below, with a few tweaks. I rinsed the grapes in RO then froze them to burst the cells. I borrowed a friends auger juicer and will mix the juice alone with the sugar water mixture and pectic enzyme + yeast nutrient (fermaid K and diammonium phosphate) for the first 12H. Then I’m going to use go-ferm to rehydrate a pack of Lalvin D47. Once fermentation starts, I’ll degas twice daily and dose more yeast nutrient every other day for 8 days. Then I’ll let it ride until I no longer see airlock activity, rack into some oak chips in secondary, wait two months, rack again.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques15.asp

I would recommend Lalvin 71b-1122. I recently bottled a 1 gallon batch of muscadine wine and I used k1v-1116. This yeast was actually very nice and I like the end product but the wine was extremely tart. I ended up stabilizing and backsweetning to help it out. I feel like the 71b will help knock down the tartness and give you a more well rounded end product.

I just opened a bottle of my 2016 muscadine wine made with 71b-1122. My initial reaction: too tart. I was surprised because 71b is supposed to help with this. I also cold stabilized the wine before bottling, so I'm disappointed. This year I'm trying Cotes des Blanc which is supposed to help maintain the fruity flavor. If this doesn't meet my expectations, I may go back to EC-1118.

I’ve read that you’re supposed to test the acidity and adjust it prior to fermentation. Could this result in the tartness you’re describing if it went uncorrected?

I did not adjust the acidity prior to fermentation. I have a kit, but honestly, I don't understand it.

I just opened a bottle of my 2016 muscadine wine made with 71b-1122. My initial reaction: too tart. I was surprised because 71b is supposed to help with this. I also cold stabilized the wine before bottling, so I'm disappointed. This year I'm trying Cotes des Blanc which is supposed to help maintain the fruity flavor. If this doesn't meet my expectations, I may go back to EC-1118.

It surprised me to find out that you used 71b and it still came out too tart. That yeast is supposed to metabolize malic acid I believe. I thought that maybe it would reduce the tartness of the end product if left dry.

Dumb question: I just started a gallon of muscadine wine -- in primary fermenting as I type -- but I didn't test or adjust for acidity. Is it too late? Can I add calcium carbonate NOW?

Im 48h into my ferm as well and am wondering the same as you. I like tart wine, but I suppose there is a limit.

eckraus.com says: "Calcium Carbonate is best added to the juice at the beginning of fermentation....We recommend determining what the juice`s current TA is with an Acid Testing Kit. Then establish a dosage to be added to the entire batch. If you do not have an Acid Testing Kit then use 1/2 teaspoon ofCalcium Carbonate for every gallon of wine. More Calcium Carbonate can be added later if the wine is still too tart."

eckraus.com says: "Calcium Carbonate is best added to the juice at the beginning of fermentation....We recommend determining what the juice`s current TA is with an Acid Testing Kit. Then establish a dosage to be added to the entire batch. If you do not have an Acid Testing Kit then use 1/2 teaspoon ofCalcium Carbonate for every gallon of wine. More Calcium Carbonate can be added later if the wine is still too tart."

Considering this info, what if I uncork my bottles of tart wine, siphon into a gallon jug with calcium carbonate, and let it set for a few months. Then bottle again. Good idea? Bad idea?

Back