Murphy's Law

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blast

Reaction score
We all know Murphy's law. Whatever can go wrong will. Today I decided to take advantage of the snow to brew up a batch of whiskey barrel stout from brewers best. Started out with my big pot, 4 or five gallon wide topped pot, on the burner on my stove. I had to use a smaller burner because I hadn't replaced the 8" burner yet but didn't think it would affect anything. I steep the grains with no problem, turn the burner to high and start waiting for the wort to boil. An hour later I come to the horrible realization that the burner doesn't have the power to get 2.5 gallons of wort boiling in the pot I'm using.
I tear out into the snow to get a new burner, I get back plug it in and it turns out that the outlet for the burner was burnt out. I am faced with a huge problem now. The second largest pot I have cannot hold the amount of wort I have. My options were go build a fire in my fire pit outside in the snow or pour half of my wort out, cool it, and get it into a fermentor. I went with the later option and was able to get the wort to boil, my hops in and finished.
What can I expect from this pain in the ass experience and have any of you had similar breakdowns?

I had what turned out to be too big of a pot on an underpowered burner. I had to pour out half my wort to get the pot to a boil. I chilled the half I poured out and put it into my carboy early. Piss poor planning and whatnot.

I had what turned out to be too big of a pot on an underpowered burner. I had to pour out half my wort to get the pot to a boil. I chilled the half I poured out and put it into my carboy early. Piss poor planning and whatnot.
Oh so some of it didn't get boiled? It could turn out ok if it doesn't get infected

Back