murky to clear to murky?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

444Tsgt

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've made a few batches of cider and all has been fine. On my latest batch, fermentation seemed to go fine, then it cleared after about 3 weeks. About a week later, it started to get really cloudy again. It has now been REALLY cloudy for about two weeks. I took a taste sample, and it tastes OK. I'm not worried too much yet, I'm hoping it will clear sooner or later. Anyone have this happen to them?

Never had that happen. Any changes in temperature or motion to the Carboy? I would keep a sharp eye on it if neither of those cases occurred.

Maybe minor temp. changes + or - 5 degrees(68f). The carboy has not moved one bit, its been in my fermentation closet since day 1 and has not been disturbed. I'm just gonna wait for it to clear again, then bottle. I dont see any signs of infection, so I should be good. It has to clear sooner or later, right?

What went into the Cider? Also, are you certain no one else touched or moved it? Once Yeast and sediment flocculate, they really only get resuspended by physical motion. I would imagine if the temperature had swung wildly it could cause a dormant ferment to reinvigorate...but that sounds like it is not the case. I am stumped.

The thing about infection is that it happens a lot earlier on than is indicated by sight...and pretty much with normal Cider it is usually the Acetobacter that move in after the ferment if you are going to get 'infected'. If you smell it you'll know it. A Pellicle will form eventually and you should get 'ropes'. Now that I think about it....my Cider Vinegar is about half way done and is indeed cloudy, but I never payed strict attention to the phases it went through to get there. Not to alarm you buy you may be on your way to Vinegar. How long has it been fermenting and what was the recipe?

Its been in the 6 1/2 gallon carboy nearly five weeks. My recipe was 6 1/4 gallons of store bought applejuice(no preservatives), 2 cans of frozen apple juice concentrate, 1 pound dextrose. Used Nottingham dry yeast. Fermentation started in about 12 hrs, it bubbled good for a week or so. At 3 weeks it started to clear pretty good. Then one morning i looked in at it and was really cloudy again. Its been that way since, about 2 weeks. It doesnt smell bad, and tastes ok, maybe theres hope.

I think the best thing to do is let it ride and see the outcome. Keep us posted, I personally haven't seen this type of behavior but it could just be some freak thing.

Back