murky cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodhi86

Reaction score
i was just wondering if putting a clearig agent (mine is a shellfish product) durring fermentation will affect my yeast, im too close to being done to do it on this batch, but i have a couple of other ones going, will it kill my yeast or will it be fine and just "remurk" once fermentation continues?

But what would happen if I did? Doesany one know? ( and no more patience answers, that's not my question)

I have a cider that was in the primary for 5 weeks, at FG 1.000. It's murky. I'm blaming the particular blend of apple juice / cider used. No biggie.

Transferred it to a secondary yesterday and will let it sit a few more weeks (maybe a month depending on how lazy I am).

I picked up some fining agent from my LHBS - "Super Kleer KC". HBS told me that if I decide to use this I should consider using a small amount of yeast at bottling time. You need to wait until you've reached the expected FG.

Cider ferments dry. If you want "sweet" cider you will have to back sweeten and pasteurize (or force carb)

Cider is a bit fiddly in that regard. You have to respect the process. Sure, if you're at an appropriate FG and it's still not clear, you can use the fining agent, but having not used this product before (and taking the recommendation of my HBS) I would say expect to have to use a tiny.. TINY amount of yeast for bottling.

Again, this depends on what the FG of your cider is.. If it's not done and you use the finings, you might still have enough yeast in suspension to carbonate.

You could also put the fermenter in a cold room / un-insulated closet (say at around 50F) and let it sit there for a couple weeks to see how it clears w/o using the finings.

Had the same prob. Get pectic enzyme. It works great.

The only way cold will work is if it's a yeast haze. I imagine it's pectin haze and it's easily fixed.

Just put a few drops and leave it for a month. It will be crystal.

But wait for a few months. After that, if it's still cloudy, try the enzyme

But what would happen if I did? Doesany one know? ( and no more patience answers, that's not my question)

After a bit of research I found this on Northern Brewerw page:

super-clean.jpg

Product Description:
An excellent all-purpose fining for beer or wine. Clears 12-48 hours after adding to the secondary fermenter. Contains kieselsol and chitosan. This product is derived from shellfish.

So assuming this is or similar to the product your intending on using if found the following descriptions of the ingredients of said product:

Kieselsol

Silicon dioxide. Silica.

Fining agent for beer or wine.Should be used in conjunction with gelatin. Add 2.2 ml per litre of wine or beer (about 50 ml per 23 litre batch). Use a syringe for accurate measurement. Stir thoroughly. Wait two weeks and rack off sediment.

Store at room temperature. Do not freeze or refrigerate. Seal tightly when not in use.

Chitosan (positive charge)
: As the name implies, it is composed of chitin, which is the structural element of the exoskeletons of crustaceans, such as crabs, shrimp and other shell fish. Chitosan is especially popular in clearing white wines, since it does not require the aid of tannins to clear, as do some fining agents like gelatine. When used with negatively-charged Kieselsol it is an effective remover of most suspended proteins and solids.

Chitosan and Kieselsol are often sold as a set, in sealed liquid envelopes as fining A (negatively charged Kieselsol) which is added to the wine first, and then fining B (positively charged chitosan) added about a day afterwards. Chitosan has a reputation for being fairly gentle on the character of finished wine.

You can be the judge, but what I get out of this is the product it looks like it will attaches to the particles and they will drop out of your cider, including the yeast. This sounds similar to how the gelatin I use for both beer and cider performs.

That is the same product I got, but will it stop fermentation or just pull it down

That is the same product I got, but will it stop fermentation or just pull it down

You may have to try it if you really need to know. Are you hoping to stop fermentation to get a sweeter cider? If not, I don't understand the need to use it during fermentation. Super Kleer is designed to be used after fermentation is done.

More like stupid I just want to watch clear things ferment for a better view, and I'm new so I want to push different methods just to see what works and what won't, mainly stupid reasons

More like stupid I just want to watch clear things ferment for a better view, and I'm new so I want to push different methods just to see what works and what won't, mainly stupid reasons

We all get some type of enjoyment out of the process, I can't say I have ever seen visual gratification so high on ones list but to each there own.

Back