Muntons vs. Briess crystal malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veedo

Reaction score
searched the forums but couldn't find much info, so sorry if this has been asked before.

has anyone noticed or tasted a difference between the different maltsters of caramel / crystal malts? I would guess that the muntons would have a place in English beers, and the briess in American ales, but I am not sure. I have a couple pounds of muntons C40, but have normally used briess for all my pales, ipa's, etc. figured I would ask the experts, cheers! :mug:

There is absolutely a difference amongst different maltsters.

I did a taste test a couple years back. Bought some 15 crystal malts, 3 different L ratings by 5 different maltsters (or maybe it was 4). I ate them side by side, dry, and then made crystal malt tea from them to compare that way. The differences were significant. I also found that one maltster tasted best to me across the whole spectrum, so that's the one I've stuck with ever since.

I'd suggest giving this process a try, too, so you can figure out what you like.

Interesting. Do you remember what ones you tried? Which was your favorite?

I do, and I could tell you, but I don't want to color your impressions if you decide to do the same. Are you sure you want to know? You could absolutely disagree with my preferences.

I'm not trying to be difficult; it's an honest question, as this is an honest concern.

It won't matter to me, just curious. I plan to try your experiment, well at least with the briess and muntons.

UK crystal malts have a much deeper, complex caramel flavor than the American made stuff, which can come across as one-note or saccharine-sweet. You can certainly use UK crystal malts in your American styles, although just know that it will have a different flavor than the equivalent Breiss' product. That said, my favorite UK crystal malts are from Simpsons and Thomas Fawcett, although Crisp and Muntons make an excellent product too.

It won't matter to me, just curious. I plan to try your experiment, well at least with the briess and muntons.

I used Briess, Crisp, Hugh Baird, and Franco Belges.

I strongly preferred Hugh Baird. FB was next, followed by Crisp, and then Briess.

Despite my overall preferences, I keep a bit of Crisp around just because it was so different from the rest. It's edgier and a little rougher, in a way that is nice for some beers.

very cool, thanks for the reply. I will be trying a few different ones out next time I place my order. some of the names I have never noticed while shopping

Back