Muntons Marris Otter blend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivdrinks

Reaction score
Got a sack of Muntons Marris Otter the other day only to notice at home it's a blend with 50% Pale Malt. Not real happy about it considering it was $72 but it's the only "Marris Otter" they had. Anyone know more about this? Why would they do it? Are the grains spliced together or there actually 27.5# of each malt in the bag?

Same thing happened to me. I wasn't too happy with the results of this malt so I picked up a sack of Crip's Maris Otter. I reserve the Muntons for IPA and such. I use the Crisp for English ales and maltier brews.

I asked the brew store for a sack and that's what they gave me. I didn't notice until I got home. Its a 2 hour drive so I just said oh well. I was getting low on regular 2-row so it replaced that.

Same thing for me, asked for a sack of MO and that's what they gave, didn't read the label till I got home. I do take some responsibility for not researching it but a homebrew supply store should be aware of it also. So anyone know how it's a 50/50 blend?

I grabbed some as well. At the store I noticed and asked the guy and he said it's all blend now. Apparently there is some kind of shortage?

I'd prefer to blend my own if I wanted a blend, but what can you do. Best keep your eyes peeled from now on.

sometimes the nitrogen content of MO is too high, so that would lead to haze and they blend it with malt that is lower in N .

Bairds and Muntons tend to use the cheap stuff and so blend more. Not that I've ever had a problem with their malts, they are all still high quality. But I cans ee why you would be annoyed if you thought you were getting 100% MO

Yeah, I have not been impressed with the character of the Munton's MO. For significantly cheaper, I can get Weyermann Pale Ale and that tastes nice.

I will have to search out some Crisp.

Emailed them and they said it's a blend of 50% Propino (?) and 50% MO. I've asked several times how it's blended but haven't gotten that answer yet.

My LHBS said that Muntons insist that the blend tastes better and is well-liked. Not sure I buy it, but I guess I'll give it a whirl since they sell it fairly cheaply.

HOLD ON A MINUTE, IT'S NOT THAT CHEAP ANYMORE. I used to pay about $62 for a sack, but now it's $93. Dang.

Damn dude, I paid 71.99 plus tax, I'm in PA. Do they know how it's blended?
The employee seemed fairly clueless.

The store used to sell bulk grain essentially at cost, but now it looks like I can order from the big online companies and have it shipped via Fedex for about the same price. That ain't right.

The employee seemed fairly clueless.

The store used to sell bulk grain essentially at cost, but now it looks like I can order from the big online companies and have it shipped via Fedex for about the same price. That ain't right.

Why is that? I would expect things at my LHBS to be slightly more expensive than online. They have to pay for shipping as well, although I would hope they get better pricing than what we can get.

Selling one of the main ingredients they sell at the shop for cost doesn't sound sustainable in the least.

Why is that? I would expect things at my LHBS to be slightly more expensive than online. They have to pay for shipping as well, although I would hope they get better pricing than what we can get.
They raised the price of a 55-pound sack by about $30; I can find it (non-blended) online for $40 cheaper and still come out ahead with shipping. I'm pretty sure they didn't raise their by-the-pound price, so now I'd only save $15 by buying a full sack. That doesn't seem like a very good savings considering that an employee doesn't have to scoop out the grains by hand, weigh them, mill them and then seal them in a bag.

Selling one of the main ingredients they sell at the shop for cost doesn't sound sustainable in the least.
I'm fine with them making a reasonable profit, but when I can save money by paying Fedex almost $40 to ship a 55-pound sack of grain then something is wrong.

I don't think bulk grain sales are a large part of my local store's business, since I've never seen anyone but myself lugging one around in the dozens of times I've stopped in. I already buy my hops by the pound online, but reasonable bulk grain prices are what bring me to make the 20-mile drive to my local store and I usually pick up some yeast and other odds and ends while I'm there. If I can find better prices on sacks of grain online then I'll probably take advantage of the better online prices for yeast and hops and cut out my LHBS completely. And that would suck because they're nice people.

The next time I stop in I'll ask about the price increase. I'll also visit their competitor's store for the first time and see what their prices are like.

Back