Munton's LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS68

Reaction score
So, I picked up a couple cans of Munton's Amber LME from the LHBS. When I opened the cans, they both had a thick, gooey kind of foam on top. Is this normal? I'd never used Munton's before, and don't recall anything like this with other extracts. I thought it might be from the canning/pastuerizing process, but I'm also not overly confident in the turnover of some of the products at the LHBS.
Thanks,

Chris

Thanks Brewmando,
However, I'm not sure it was the result of simple handling. Maybe if they put the cans in a paint shaker... then only maybe. Not that I'm disagreeing with you. It's just that the foam had a tendency to ooze out of the can some when opened, and I would imagine that the cans had been there long enough that any effects from handling would have settled down.

Really, it's a moot point as the batch has been bottled for a couple of weeks now. Just wondering as I did see something on the Munton's site about old cans fermenting and bulging. I asked them about it but haven't heard back.

I've used Muntons LME plenty of time, and the foam and goup on top or bottom of the can is normal.
I believe it's due to the malt settling out, either on the top or bottom of the can.
It won't effect your beer, so just mix it into your pot and boil.

Back