muntons gold continental pilsner advice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeroydavid

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wanting to eventually do BIAB Lager, I went to my local homebrew shop to get what i needed, but they didn't stock anything to do with all grain brewing, so I decided to give muntons gold continental pilsner a go, I followed the instructions, and I had leave it at a temperature of between 18-21 degrees, but when checking the following day, it was between 23 - 24 degrees, and I had it in the coolest place in the house, I ordered a fridge temperature control unit, and i now have it in there keeping it from between 18 - 21, but not much seems to be happening with it, even at the higher temperature, for 3 days, it froffed up, but nothing happened in the air lock, now its not doing much, see photo below, any advice on what i should do please?

Attachments

• 235588183_327489245786282_7967272668014130136_n.jpg
    235588183_327489245786282_7967272668014130136_n.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 11
any advice on what i should do please?
Put the lid back on the fermenter and leave it alone. Wait until it's been in there two weeks, three if you.re a worrier, and bottle it (Or, if you really want to stir up the crowd, transfer it to a secondary for the last week, :p ))

Last edited:
You started warm, then chilled the beer down. Its only natural that the yeast slowed down, but they are still in there working away.
Once the beer is 50% done, you can ramp up the temperature.
Pull a sample and see what your gravity is.
Your first lager might not be what you wanted, but its still beer and you've learned a few things for next time.
I've used the '"quick lager" method and it works pretty good:
https://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/
There's also a warm fermented lager thread here on HBT:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/warm-fermented-lager-thread.592169/

Muntons lager yeast? that's new to me. Never seen it sold anywhere.

Back