Muntons Dry Beer Yeast NOOB Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallsDamBrewery

Reaction score
I just received all of my brew kit equipment and my first beer kit (Irish Stout)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, here is the NOOB question: The box the beer ingredients came in states on the inside flap...refrigerate yeast upon arrival. The kit has different types of yeast you can order, I chose the standard Muntons dry beer yeast. My question...is this a generic label stating to refrigerate other types of yeast(ie. wyeast, liquid) or should I refrigerate a pack of dry yeast until I am ready to brew?

Also, on a side note, the yeast pack says to just dissolve contents into 1/3 cup of cooled, boiled water and rest for 15 minutes before pitching...should I follow these instructions, or should I make a starter a few days before brewing? My brew day is Saturday.

I appreciate all the comments...I felt confident before all my equipment arrived, now after it is all here and unpacked...it looks overwhelming, but I am confident...I have read up on everything for months now. Cheers!:mug:

No need to refrigerate dry yeast. And no need to make a starter - rehydrating as instructed will work just fine (and is recommended).

I have used Muntons in the past with good results. We just sprinkled it over the top of the wort and sealed it up. 24hrs later bubbling like mad. Never had a miss using this technique with dry yeast. I have done the same with Safale US-05 also. Best of luck on your brew day.

I haven't used the Munton's that came with my Irish Stout Kit..... So I can't say for sure on this. I upgraded to the WL Liquid Yeast for that kit. Last two kits I used nottingham dry yeast and I agree with these other folks, just sprinkle dry on the top of wort has worked for me. I get bubbling a little in 8 hours or less and by 24 it's going crazy. (In a good way)

You don't have to refrigerate dry yeast -- you definitely want to for liquid yeast. However, if you are planning on not making it for weeks/months, I would refrigerate.

I have sprinkled the yeast on top of the wort and I have rehydrated. I would definitely rehydrate.

Back