Munton's Connoisseur Export Stout Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy35

Reaction score
I am preparing to brew the Munton's Export Stout and have a couple concerns/questions.

First, I love stouts, but am particularly new to the hobby. I have 3 kits down and only one is at the drinking stage (just yesterday, yah!).

Like anyone, I don't want to waste 6-7 weeks to realize that this beer is weak, thin, or is lacking the ABV. So I'm looking for advice from those that have made this kit before.

It is suggested to brew 6 gallons, which I think is a little much. Would you recommend backing it down to 5 to improve quality? It is also recommended to add 1kg sugar - add this or is there a better substitute?

Also, I have 3 lbs DME (1 dark, 2 light) that I had planned on using. Would this be overkill? Would it be better to add 2 lbs DME and maybe some lactose? I love the maltiness, however don't want to overpower the beer. Like I've said, this is my first time with this beer and know very little (despite reading much material) about the effects this will have.

Thanks!

Anyone have experience with this kit? Or just anyone with some advice?

I apologize, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I thought since I didn't post the original in "extract brewing" that I might get more advice/opinions if I did. Feel free to delete this thread mod.

Thanks!

You will probably get more hits in the Beginner section. Just keep bumping your post if it leaves the first page and ask all the questions you have.

I have that same can that I want to be done with. I plan to mix it with 3 lbs dark dme that I have as well. I don't know what hopping schedule to set up yet or what yeast. I have some german ale wyeast that I need to use but not sure if it can work.

Back