Muntons Carb Tabs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
Anyone use these? Going to be bottling in 22 ouncers on Saturday and plan on doubling the tabs per bottle (6 tabs for low carbonation). Out of curiosity, I tasted one and held it in my mouth for a bit. It didn't dissolve. Should it? I would think that's the design so the yeast can eat it.

I only bottle once a year now and I'm out of corn sugar. Might have enough dme to use if these tabs suck, but thought these would be easier.

So thoughts on them? Good or bad experiences?

I just used the carb tabs for the first time, and with my limited experience with them and some reading here I have learned that one thing that you need to do is to gently roll the bottle around to make sure that the dextrose is dissolved into the bottle and not just sitting on the bottom. After a day in my bottle I turned mine upside down and was able to see the concentrated dextrose on the bottom move around and dissolve into the rest of the beer.

I did a lot of research before I actually started brewing. Many online posts I read about the carb tablets said they worked fine, but that they sometimes leave little white floaties in your beer.

I used the carb "drops" (the ones that look like clear candy cough drops - I think Coopers makes 'em) when I bottled the Dead Guy clone. It took forever for the bottles to carb up, but they do work and there's no floaties in my beer.

If it's convenience you're looking for, get the carb "drops" otherwise just buy some sugar and make up some priming sugar/water mix.

I just used some on a batch....seem to be taking their sweeeeeet time carbonating....

I used 6 in a 500 ml bottle....

I did a lot of research before I actually started brewing. Many online posts I read about the carb tablets said they worked fine, but that they sometimes leave little white floaties in your beer.

I used the carb "drops" (the ones that look like clear candy cough drops - I think Coopers makes 'em) when I bottled the Dead Guy clone. It took forever for the bottles to carb up, but they do work and there's no floaties in my beer.

If it's convenience you're looking for, get the carb "drops" otherwise just buy some sugar and make up some priming sugar/water mix.

Yep, they left the little white floaties in the beer the one time I used them. Carbed up fine though.

I've used them twice now and had no problems. I sent them to a competition and no mention of carb problems or white floaty things.

They are easy to use, but according to the package it says (for 12 oz. bottle) use 3 for low carb, 4 for normal carb and 5 for high carb. for a 22oz. bottle, I'd think 6 would fall into the low carb range. Maybe use 8 next time? Just an idea.

I've used them once and had white floaties too. Not very impressive to friends when your pouring your homebrew into a glass through a strainer!

Also, I went used 4 tabs in each bottle for the normal carb w/ 12oz bottles and it seems low to me. I won't be using them again.

Latest posts

Back