Munton's Brewing Info Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickochet

Reaction score
I was given a 3.3 lb. can of Munton's American Style Light Beer LME, 3 lbs. of Munton Extra Light DME and 1 lb. of corn sugar with no instructions. I have brewed extracts and BIB's, but none of the no-boil brews. I am well versed in the principles of brewing, but this Munton is rather unusual. What would you Munton veterans suggest as a step-by-step process to brew up this beer? Thanks in advance for your tips, tricks & brewing wisdom!

These are fairly simple.

Soak the can in a sink full or pan of hot water to loosen the extract for about 10 minutes.

Pour 2 liters of hot water into your fermenter.

Open the can with a sterilized opener.

Add the contents of the can, the DME, and the sugar (unless you are using it for priming later) to the water and stir.

Add more water. I suggest using the can from the extract to ensure you get as much extract as possible from the can when adding additional water.

Continue stirring as you add water.

Get the temperature between 18-23 degrees Celsius.

Top of water at 23 liters.

Stir it up some more.

Sprinkle the provided yeast evenly over the mix.

Let it ferment.

Depends on whether the LME is hopped or not whether you boil it and for how long. I always add hops and do an hour boils. After about 1/2 I add the dry ingredients (DME and Corn Sugar) and wait till flame out to add the LME. That helps to avoid scorching the liquid malt when it sinks to the bottom. I cool it all with a chiller and make sure I get plenty of O2 in after I cool it down to pitching temp. Otherwise you should just treat it as a modified BIAB or Extract Kit. Have fun and let us know how it turns out. You can predict the properties of the brew if you input it into the free software on Hopvilles site. I use it to help build recipes and check my intuitions to make sure I am going the right way.
Bob

Back