Muntons BOCK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bockboy

Reaction score
I am intrested to know, if anyone has tried a Muntons "Bock" home brew kit.
I am new to home brewing and recently purchased a brew kit:mug: I would like to hear any feedback on this product.

I am intrested to know, if anyone has tried a Muntons "Bock" home brew kit.
I am new to home brewing and recently purchased a brew kit:mug: I would like to hear any feedback on this product.

I have the same question, so I'm bumping this thread after searching! It's the Connossier's (sp?) line of Munton.

That was my first kit. I fermented it at too high of a temperature, about 75 for the first day or so, I also pitched the yeast a little warm around 85 and undercarbonated. It tasted like crap. After 2 months in the bottle its a little better but I don't enjoy the off flavors. BUt I do have a freind that really likes it:drunk: Probably not Muntons fault. I hope yours turns out better than mine.

It won't really make a Bock but should still make a decent pint if you do your part. I would suggest brewing a 5 gallon batch with it using 1 pound DME, 1/2 lb sugar and store bought water. Extract tends to finish sweet so some sugar will help it finish a little drier. I suggest store bought water because I think tap water can cause some issues.

Waiting for the wort to cool as we speak. Doing a 5 gallong batch (instead of the 6 gallons that the instructions say), and I used 1.2 pounds of corn sugar, 1.0 pounds of plain extra light spraymalt extract.

The wort is in a tub of ice (in anticipation of that question). I've had boiled water sitting outside all day in the cold air, should have a nice cool tub, aiming for about 60 degrees in the primary when I mix it all together. Nice.

****, broke my hydrometer when shaking it dry. That was stupid; I could have just put it on the counter - I was done!

ANyway, OG = 1.05. Pitched at 77 degrees, but I put it outside in the cold and it's already down to 68 degrees. It'll go down in the basement where it's about 60

Waiting for the wort to cool as we speak. Doing a 5 gallong batch (instead of the 6 gallons that the instructions say), and I used 1.2 pounds of corn sugar, 1.0 pounds of plain extra light spraymalt extract.

The wort is in a tub of ice (in anticipation of that question). I've had boiled water sitting outside all day in the cold air, should have a nice cool tub, aiming for about 60 degrees in the primary when I mix it all together. Nice.

You'll have to let me know the finishing gravity. I'm going to predict 1.010. People are quick to dismiss the use of sugar in extract brewing but I'm finding it's required to hit a decent terminal gravity.

I'd bet this kit comes will an ale yeast so 60 degrees might be a little too low. Plus the fact there generally isn't a lot of yeast included with them.

I've had a fair amount of experience brewing this kit. It's become a staple beer around here.

I brew 6 gallon batches, just like the recipe calls for, and my first batch I gave it the 1kg (2.2lb) of dextrose it calls for in the instructions. I fermented at room temperature as cold as the house would get without blowing the electric bill which was about 70ish. It was a good enough beer I bought another kit.

I wanted more dark flavors in it so the next batch I ran 1lb of DME and 1.2lb of dextrose. That was better, and really started getting our friends interested in our beer. We still have a couple bottles of this left, it was bottled over 6 months ago and it's still getting nicer with age.

My final recipe (at the moment) is to use 2lbs of DME and 0.2lb of dextrose. I ferment in a room I close off from the heat so it runs low-mid 60's in there and I'll aim for a 65-67F first week and maybe let it chill down to 62F the second week so long as there isn't much airlock activity left by then. I find that really helps the ale yeasts stay nice and clean on the flavor. This does yield a bit of sweetness that mellows out as it gains age, but I like a little sweetness in larger low-hops brews.

To get a nice fermentation I like to use two yeast packs (from 2 kits) in one batch and then use Safale US-05 in the other.

I just ferment for 2 weeks in the bucket, I don't pay a lot of attention to the hydrometer readings so long as they're roughly what I expect. 1.040 - 1.050 for starting gravity, somewhere around 1.010 - 1.020 final. After 2 weeks I've never had any trouble, it's consistently near 1.012. Mainly I just take a measurement to make sure fermentation isn't stuck, but I've never had a problem with that. Then I rack to a bottling bucket, add priming sugar to that, and bottle.

I'm also toying with the idea of brewing two kits in a 6 gallon batch to approximate a doppelbock. I also have some true doppelbock in the pipeline, but it's lagering and will be for at least another couple months. The hope is to get a quick and easy doppelbock with ale yeast to make sure I don't run out.

You'll have to let me know the finishing gravity. I'm going to predict 1.010. People are quick to dismiss the use of sugar in extract brewing but I'm finding it's required to hit a decent terminal gravity.

I'd bet this kit comes will an ale yeast so 60 degrees might be a little too low. Plus the fact there generally isn't a lot of yeast included with them.

It finished at 1.020. It's been in the bottle now for a little over 3 weeks, going to try one this weekend.

Cracked one open tonight after 3.5 weeks in the bottle. Tastes fine, not hoppy at all, not overly sweet and very smooth. Great mouth feel, and it was served ICE cold.

Overall I'm happy with it. I prefer "hoppier" beer, but for what it is it tastes great and I'm glad I tried it. For anyone who prefers the Bock style of beer, it tastes pretty much perfect.

All that said, I much prefer the Coopers English Bitter kit - much hoppier and to my personal liking. :) I did a Muntons Premium Bitter kit today, eager to see what it tastes like.

Back