Munich + Wheat As Base Malt In Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lateralus

Reaction score
I'm thinking of brewing up a strong, dark wheat ale this winter. I want a lot of maltiness, so I was going to go big on the Munich malt. I am having trouble, however, finding out the diastatic power of the base malts I intend to use and their suitability for full starch conversion in my planned grist. Basically, I'm unsure whether I can use 100% Munich malt along with wheat malt for the base and still convert all the starches in my mash, or whether I need some Pilsner malt in there:

46.67% Weyermann Munich II (9 SRM)
46.67% Weyermann Wheat Malt Dark (6.5 SRM)
3.33% Weyermann Carafa Special II (432 SRM)
3.33% Dingeman's Special B (150 SRM)

I'm doing a single-step infusion mash, 151F for 60 minutes.

I have read that Munich malt has enough diastatic power to convert itself, but does it have enough surplus diastatic power to convert other grains, such as my specialty malts? Same with the wheat malt. I also know that darker kilning reduces the diastatic power of a malt, but I cannot find any information on how much less diastatic power my dark wheat malt has compared to pale wheat malt. Weyermann's dark wheat malt is 6.5 SRM, their pale wheat malt is 2 SRM.

Conversion will be fine. Personally I would start my recipe with 60% Wheat and then work out the remaining malts. I would do something like:

60% Wheat
32% Munich
3% CS II
5% Spec. B

Latest posts

Back