Munich Verses Mild Ale Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PT Ray

Reaction score
According to Randy Mosher munich is a good substitute for mild ale malt. Being this is what I have on hand I will brewing brewing an English mild using munich malt. I am curious to hear any feedback in regards to the final product using munich as a base malt for an English ale.

Is mild ale malt 2-row? If so, it will clearly be a bit maltier with Munich. I do use a bit of Munich in my pale ales because I like that maltiness, but I use a base of 2-row and can't say what an entire base malt of Munich would be like.

Another thing, Munich does not have the diastatic power of 2-row so it won't convert a lot of adjuncts like 2-row will (probably not an issue for an English mild bill).

Munich and mile ale are both a little on the sweet side and a little higher on non-fermentables than 2-row pale. Munich should give a slightly more complex ale, but unless you do a decoction, you won't get the heavy maltiness munich gives to Dunkels. Since you don't want that in a Mild, no problem.

Back