Munich SMaSH, which yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El_Exorcisto

Reaction score
I am getting a 50lb sack of Munich in a couple weeks, and am planning on brewing a SMaSH to see what it can do. I figure I'll use Crystals since they are the most noble hop in the stable right now. The question is, what yeast should I use? My basement is holding a steady 46 on the concrete right now but I don't have the ability to chill a bucket down to 34* for a real lagering. Should I use an alt yeast, or maybe Cry Havoc? I want to do something fitting of the German(ish) ingredients.

Sounds like a Munich Dunkel. Best use a lager yeast, like Wyeast 2308. I'm sure it would be happy at 45°. Lagers won't ferment at 34°. That is the "lagering" or storage temp.

Coincidentally, I've had a 55# bag of Munich malt in my grain closet for months. Maybe I'll make a Munich Dunkle smash too.

passedpawn, I don't have anywhere to store it all at 34*... Can you lager it at fermentation temps, or is there something magical that happens when you drop it into the 30s?

30's only clears it. Nothing more.

Lager yeast ferments clean and crisp. They do it at cool temps, like 45° to 55°. At those temps, they ferment a little slower than ale yeasts, so give them 3 weeks. Then, raise the temp about 10° for 2 days. This just ensures that the fermentation was truly done, and also helps rid the beer of any diacetyl that might have been created by the lager yeast. At this point the beer is done fermenting, but a good lager should be clear, and that is where the "cold-crashing" comes in. It's not necessary, but will result in a crystal clear beer. I think storing at fermentation temps is fine, but might take much more time.

Back