Munich Scotch Style Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koomber

Reaction score
Trying to work down my existing stock of malts and hops before I get some fresh stuff in. I'm quite partial to an 80/- or two so I've decided to go ahead and brew one, with a Teutonic Twist.

Due to limitations on what grains I have, and because I think it might actually work, I've decided to brew the Ale using Munich Malt for the base malt, with some darker malts added to round it out a bit more and then a touch of some medium peat smoked malt (The peat should give an intensity which should offset nicely with the sweet from the malts).

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Munich Malt (7.6 SRM) Grain 75.38 %
0.31 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 7.79 %
0.20 kg Amber Malt (53.3 SRM) Grain 5.03 %
0.20 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (66.0 SRM) Grain 5.03 %
0.17 kg Caraaroma (203.0 SRM) Grain 4.27 %
0.10 kg Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) Grain 2.51 %
10.0 gm Warrior [18.20 %] (60 min) Hops 20.7 IBU

1.045 OG Estimated.

Currently trying to figure out a mash profile. Whether I should go for a full bodied 158F for 45 minutes, or a medium bodied 154F for 60 minutes.
Any suggestions from the more experienced would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking about going for a 90 minute boil and using less caraaroma, but I'm worried about the peat flavour boiling out. Not sure if this is legitimate or not.

I'm also thinking about yeast choice for this. I'm thinking Nottingham would probably be best (nice balanced profile) or just throw a curveball and go with Ringwood.

Back