Munich Malt w/ Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomersooner

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question. I don't really want to do a lager right now because i don't have anyplace to ferment it. Does anyone know of any all grain recipes that call for Munich malt that do not require a lager yeast? I have read of people using ale yeasts on Oktoberfest brews. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jared

I haven't tried it but I don't see why a neutral ale yeast like Wyeast 1056 or WLP 001 would'nt work for what you are trying to do.

Regards,
Alan

You can take any lager recipe and substitute a clean ale yeast if you don't have lager fermentation capabilities. The resulting beer won't be a lager but it will still be good. It also helps to give the brew some extended secondary times at as cool a temp as you can muster to make it as lager like as possible. :mug:

The Wyeast 2112 California Lager Yeast will give you a nice clean ale at temps in the low-mid 60s.

My buddy makes a SMaSH brew with Munich and Mt. Hood that is fantastic.

I'm thinking about doing a SMaSH using Munich and Chinook this weekend. Just because Munich malt is traditionally used in many German lagers as the base malt doesn't mean you can't use it in an ale recipe. I frequently use a couple pounds of vienne or munich in a recipe for complexity, just like you'd use crystal malts.

I would do an american amber or pale ale. The Dead Guy is basically a West Coast hopped bock fermented with Pacman yeast. Victory makes an excellent APA that tastes like munich or vienna malt to me. I would mix the munich malt with a bit of american 2 row pale or amber malt and balance it out with ample late addition hops. Just be sure to have fun :)

Back