Munich malt method?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of recipes I'm looking at doing soon call for some munich malt, and I wondered if this is to be steeped, or mashed, or does it matter? Also, what's it used for?

It needs to be mashed. It's a great base malt- you can use it for up to 100% of the grainbill (although I never have). It's got a malty-sweet flavor that is really nice in a beer like Maibocks, bocks, porters.

There are several different maltsters and different colors. There is a darker munich malt- Munich 20L that is actually almost orange-ish. There is a lighter colored one, about 10 SRM that gives a slight reddish-orange color.

Munich malt has undergone a higher kilning temperature than regular pale malt. It's got a really nice malty aroma and taste.

Sounds good, but I will have to look that recipe up again. I think it only listed 1 lb. to 7 lbs pale malt. Seems to be too little IMO.

Since starting AG (and being sick with a sinus infection) I have time to study different malts and recipes.

I have been brewing a lot of ambers lately (drinking a nice one, now). Munich is a big part of them. If it is a German style that is darker than a Pils, you gotta have some Munich. Or a lot of Munich.

Sounds good, but I will have to look that recipe up again. I think it only listed 1 lb. to 7 lbs pale malt. Seems to be too little IMO.

Since starting AG (and being sick with a sinus infection) I have time to study different malts and recipes.

1-2 pounds is a "standard" amount in a pale ale or amber and some others. 3-4 usually for an oktoberfest and 4+ for all the bocks

I mistakenly thought I saw it in a lawnmower style beer, but I found the recipe I was looking at was a mild or ESB. Ok, just curious what it did for the recipe. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back