Munich as a base malt for RIS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastsecondapex

Reaction score
Okay, this is kind of born out of necessity due to a buddy of mine at a NC Brewing Company giving me a Pappy Van Winkle 23 year barrel... :rockin:

I want to brew a Munich base Imperial Stout, but my problem is that with all of the roasted malts, will I have to add some 6-Row to help with the conversion since Munich is much lower in amylase?

This is what I have so far: (I plan on brewing this the 18th)

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: White Labs- San Diego Super Yeast
Yeast Starter: Yes - 5gal
Batch Size (Gallons): 55
Original Gravity: 1.104
Final Gravity: 1.019
IBU: 80.5
Boiling Time (Minutes): 75
Color: 37.4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 Days @ 70 F
Efficiency: 70%
Mash: Single Infusion, 60mins @ 150*

130 lbs Munich 10L
15 lbs Brown Sugar
10 lbs Pale 6-Row (If I must add 6-Row, I will move Aromatic & Oats to 8lbs)
10 lbs Aromatic Malt
10 lbs Quick Oats
11 lbs Chocolate Malt
11 lbs Roasted Barley
16 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) @ 60mins
16 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) @ 30mins
8 oz Cascade @ 30mins
8 oz Cascade @ 15mins

Thanks in advance!

The first thing that came to my mind when looking at the recipe is that your gonna want more IBU's. I would add an extra ounce of Tomahawk IMO.

EDIT: Didn't see all of the roasted malt your using. I can see why your only adding 2 oz of Tomahawk.

Munich malt

Munich malt is used as the base malt of the bock beer style, especially doppelbock, and appears in dunkel lager and Märzens in smaller quantities. While a darker grain than pale malt, it has sufficient diastatic power to self-convert, despite being kilned at temperatures around 115 °C. It imparts "malty," although not necessarily sweet characteristics, depending on mashing temperatures. ASBC 4-6/EBC 10-15, DP 40 °Lintner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mash_ingredient#Munich_malt

Munich malt

Munich malt is used as the base malt of the bock beer style, especially doppelbock, and appears in dunkel lager and Märzens in smaller quantities. While a darker grain than pale malt, it has sufficient diastatic power to self-convert, despite being kilned at temperatures around 115 °C. It imparts "malty," although not necessarily sweet characteristics, depending on mashing temperatures. ASBC 4-6/EBC 10-15, DP 40 °Lintner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mash_ingredient#Munich_malt

That is actually the quote that scares me. If it only has enough diastatic power to self-convert, can it convert any of the sugars from my roasted grains? Since I am going to be aging this in one of the finest single malt bourbon barrels- I want a huge malt backbone for this beer. The diastatic power of Munich is below that of 2-Row Pale and well below 6-Row, so am I wrong in assuming that 6-8% of the total grist as 6-row might help? Should I bump up the volume on the roasted grains?

it should be fine to convert it all w/o any 6-row. the aromatic can self convert as well and theres not much starch left in the roasted grains so the lil bit of excess from the aromatic & munich should be able to do the job. personally i'd bump up the IBUs a bit since thats fairly low in roast & will lose some edge aging in the barrel

-sorry about all the extra posts, dunno what happened there

Edited the above recipe to reflect a higher IBU and 12% of overall grist is now roasted malt by adding 5lbs to each the chocolate and the roasted barley. (I left the 10lbs 6-Row to help convert the oats and roasted malts for now) I turned the Munich back 10lbs as well. My next concern is if all of this is going to fit in my 75 gal mash tun...

Back