Munich and Rye Malts, will that go together for an English red IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photobrew

Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a winter brew to open up on February 6, as a tribute beer for the Manchester United players that died on a plane flight in Munich back in 1958. Any suggestions on if this will be a good combo? I'm trying to plan ahead as you can clearly see. I want it to be perfect.

I don't know...that sounds like a lot of specifics, though I think it can be done. It will be all about striking the careful balance between your flavors. I suspect you'll use something like maris otter or british 2-row as your base, and the munich and rye as specialty malts, some crystal for color, brit yeast and hops? I would figure something simple for hopping, like fuggles and goldings. Maybe more of an emphasis on the fuggles for bittering and late additions (get that earthy flavor to play along with the rye). The trick may be getting it dark enough with the crystal, without it seeming like an unusual ESB or amber ale. You might want to go 2-row over maris otter, as you're going to have plenty of specialty malts contributing to the body, and maris otter might make it seem too malty.

Back