Munich (10L) and Pilsner Malt mixed bag!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCandyMan

Reaction score
What's up HBT,
I was at the HBS today picking up some grains. I asked for 5# of Munich and 4# Pilsner malt, but forgot to mention they were for different recipes so they ended up in the same bag. Well the guy was actually pretty cool about it and gave me the 9# of organic grain for free. Now I have this blend of Munich/Pils and I was hoping for some input on what I could possibly use this for.

Cheers!

...A five gallon batch, right?

If so, hmmm, how about say 5 to 8% of a medium crystal C40 to offset the Munich & provide some sweetness along with another pound or two of Pilsner and maybe 3 or 4 ounces of Special B? Coupled with 25-35 IBU's of whatever hops ya have and playing with early/late additions of those hops for bitterness/taste and you might just have created a great "Mutt Amber Ale"! Or maybe a "Spur of the Moment Ale", or "Just Threw It Together Ale"... :mug:

You could add 2-3lbs of dark Munich and a little Carafa III Special and get a Munich Dunkel. Or like mentioned above, you could add some Vienna malt and make an Oktoberfest. Both of those are assuming you can brew lagers. If you're only doing ales at the moment, you could add some crystal 60, crystal 120 and some American 2 row and make a good American Amber, or add some chocolate malt and make an American Brown. There's a ton of stuff you could do with this.

Yup 5 gallon batch. I'm a bit limited on space, apartment brewer, so lagering is out hopefully for not much longer. The amber sounds good and I have some bottem-bag crystal 120 and 60 kicking around. As soon as I find space. Thanks for the input everyone!

I'd go the alt route as well. All you'd need is a single charge of bittering at 60 minutes for about 35 IBUs and some kolsch/alt yeast. Toss in 1-2 oz of midnight wheat for color of you really want but it won't change the flavor - just the color. Of course, you could do most styles with that as a base.

Back